Mini-DSP quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
ok I have to ask (as confirmation bias is high with this and I have suffered from it). Was the comparison between digital and analogue same room, same day or different venues? I've not seen any comparisons with any form of control hence the question.

(I should note I have one of the last ASP boards SL sold just in case I fall out of love with my miniDSP.)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
PM received, I will respond. I don't view it as off topic. The ASP is one of the better analog crossover boards out there, designed by someone who understands 'system' rather than just glomming a couple of LR4 slopes onto a PCB. Although optimised for the LX521 it can easily be adjusted to other 2 or 3 way designs. IF there is a superiority to this approach then this is the place to discuss what you gain audibly for losing the supreme flexibility of DSP!

PM received, I will respond. I don't view it as off topic. The ASP is one of the better analog crossover boards out there, designed by someone who understands 'system' rather than just glomming a couple of LR4 slopes onto a PCB. Although optimised for the LX521 it can easily be adjusted to other 2 or 3 way designs. IF there is a superiority to this approach then this is the place to discuss what you gain audibly for losing the supreme flexibility of DSP!

Linkwitz himself has made the switch to full DSP in the new LX521.4 LX521.4 Reference loudspeaker

I'm afraid this is in no way a proof of better sound quality ! It merely means the trend is to digital and DSP with computer-based music.
If you look at his latest developments, you will see a new 4-ways ASP schematic (sadly derived from the 4-ways DSP as SL obviously doesn't want any longer - presumably owing to his age - to spend hundreds of hours developping a new ASP from scratch).
If you have the opportunity to come to Switzerland, I can give you an adress where you could hear an amazing sound quality through 3-ways ASP on LX521.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
If a person doesn't like miniDSP "sound quality", don't use it. :)

Regards, the Linkwitz projects: There are currently a wide variety of different DSP (brands/types/etc/etc) solutions employed by numerous users. The concept of the "DSP-Challenge" is pretty much irrelevant, at this point.

Cheers,

Dave.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I'm afraid this is in no way a proof of better sound quality ! It merely means the trend is to digital and DSP with computer-based music.
If you look at his latest developments, you will see a new 4-ways ASP schematic (sadly derived from the 4-ways DSP as SL obviously doesn't want any longer - presumably owing to his age - to spend hundreds of hours developping a new ASP from scratch).
If you have the opportunity to come to Switzerland, I can give you an adress where you could hear an amazing sound quality through 3-ways ASP on LX521.

The 3-way version does sound excellent, but it has a few inherent shortcomings. Based on your previous posts at the OPLUG, I have no sense that you even understand the basic concepts and implementations of the LX521 versions.....let alone be qualified to second-guess them. Or comment on SL's personal situation.

Dave.

Last edited:
Hello,

I used the minidsp 2x4 for my fullrange-loudspeakers.

The minidsp needs a good power supply. They make the differences in sound.

Best would be a self made classic design with a 12 or 8 Volt 78xx regulator.

After trying out five(!) small standard power supplies with disastruous results I found only one 24 volt smps power supply which sounded good. But I bought for a next project with the minidsp a transformer to try out a classic design....

The minidsp offers really good sound for the money. It outperforms easily the ready-to use dac in the Behringer Inuke Amplifiers which I used before for some heavy EQing (10 db in the lows, 13 db in the highs for a specia speaker project).

Dragan from Germany

I used the Nanodigi8 with battery supply, did not make any difference with the stock power supply (but it may be different on analog circuits as in the miniDSP4x10)

@Dave : I leave you with your unpleasant assumptions. It seems you do not accept people trying every possible solution to get te best out of the LX521, hitting the news that the only good solution by now is the DSP one. That is YOUR opinion, other my have a different one. And they are entitled to tell it in such a thread.
François

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Strawman arguments are pretty.....sad. I suggest you re-read my posts.
The only opinion I gave was to not listen if you don't like the sound. (An opinion I suspect you agree with.)

And, I simply remarked that many of the LX/Orion users are utilizing different solutions.....both ASP and DSP (and different brands/types of DSP as it happens.) I offered no opinion on any of those solutions.

Regardless, this seems to be a thread about the subjective sound "quality" of miniDSP (which ones I'm not sure of) units. Your usage of an analog-based unit....and advocating for such....is off-topic for this thread.

Dave.

I don't quite catch what you mean about Asrc/ADC-DAC ? (I tried to follow your link, but it's quite above my technical skills...) :)
The bottom line is that modern mastered music contains sampleforms that produce higher than 0dBFS signal. When such a signal is resampled at original level (not digitally attunated before the resampler) the result is heavy distortion in the -20 to -30 dB range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.