Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Mini-DSP quality
Mini-DSP quality
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2017, 04:37 PM   #11
sadhill is offline sadhill  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

If you want to stick with miniDSP brand, you can use their NanoDigi8, with no DAC. 1 input and 4 outputs, all digital.
Works fine, but you need either digital amps or several good DACs
Old 21st January 2017, 04:54 PM   #12
torgeirs is offline torgeirs  Norway
diyAudio Member

To me, 2x4 sounds transparent. Remember the volume must be equal to 0.1 dB
The big advantage of analog in/out DSP solution is the one master clock serving the A/D, DSP and D/A
Old 21st January 2017, 09:03 PM   #13
nzlowie is offline nzlowie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadhill View Post
If you want to stick with miniDSP brand, you can use their NanoDigi8, with no DAC.
This still uses a minidsp DAC, the analog input signal goes through a DAC or in this case an Analog to Digital Converter to get a digital signal it can manipulate before going back through the DAC to get an analog output.

To remove this DAC process I might try a good active crossover to remain in the analog world. Will loose some of the eq features but then..... audiophiles have lived without it for many years.
Old 21st January 2017, 09:07 PM   #14
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mini-DSP quality
I used to think like you on that, and was hell bent on using miniDSP to optimise the cross-over then build an analog version with the same transfer function. But then I realised there is so much you can go in miniDSP that is just a pita in analog that you would end up with a suboptimal solution.

But I would not argue with anyone who used DSP for rapid prototyping if that's what they prefer.
Old 21st January 2017, 09:30 PM   #15
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgeirs View Post
To me, 2x4 sounds transparent. Remember the volume must be equal to 0.1 dB
The big advantage of analog in/out DSP solution is the one master clock serving the A/D, DSP and D/A
This is also true for Hypex DLCP. I didn't like it dig in. Ana-Ana is good. And I believe its the reson you mention + no SRC (sample rate conversion).

//
Old 21st January 2017, 11:06 PM   #16
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzlowie View Post
This still uses a minidsp DAC, the analog input signal goes through a DAC or in this case an Analog to Digital Converter to get a digital signal it can manipulate before going back through the DAC to get an analog output.
This depends on what your source is.

If you have a digital source, the signal wil remain in the digital domain all from the source through the nanoDigi and until it reaches whatever kind of DACs you have on the outputs.

The only way you need an to convert from an analog signa, is if you need to connect an analog source like a turntable. (Or you for some reason want the extra conversion step.

Oh, and please don't mix acronyms.
If you have an analog signal and want a digital signal, you need an analog to digital converter - an ADC.
If you have a digital signal and want an analog signal, you need a digital to analog converter - a DAC.

Johan-Kr
Old 22nd January 2017, 06:20 AM   #17
nzlowie is offline nzlowie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenalaar View Post
Oh, and please don't mix acronyms.
If you have an analog signal and want a digital signal, you need an analog to digital converter - an ADC.
If you have a digital signal and want an analog signal, you need a digital to analog converter - a DAC.

Johan-Kr
O so sorry!

Forget acronyms, minidsp does its work in the digital realm so whatever the input it must go through conversion. If its a digital input, it processes in the digital format then does through a DAC for output to the amp. If its an analog input it has to go through a ADC first, then be digitally processed before finally going through the DAC for output to the amp.

This is my point all along, its only as good as the DAC in the minidsp.
Old 22nd January 2017, 06:59 AM   #18
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

When the signal originates in the digital domain, it has to go through a DAC, no matter what.

The MiniDSP nanoDigi has no built-in DACs. You have to supply those yourself as a standalone solution.

Johan-Kr
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:03 AM   #19
sadhill is offline sadhill  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I discover the follow-up of my post this morning...
of course nanodigi8 has no kind of ADC nor DAC inside ! it's digital all the way through.
Meaning, if you want to be optimal and to remain digital, the best competing solution is to have a professionnal all digital soundcard (for example RME AES) and use digital software filtering (example : Acourate), and software convolution between sound and software FIR filters. Several players do that, like Foobar, JRiver, AcourateConvolver or Brutefir and Ecasound for Linux.
Probably better in overall quality than Nanodigi8, but so many factors must be taken in account that comparison is very difficult (my own experience, I tried both ways...)
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:28 AM   #20
torgeirs is offline torgeirs  Norway
diyAudio Member

Remember Asrc is worse than any audio adc-dac on modern mastered recordings
Software to detect +0dBFS waveforms and overload times

Mini-DSP qualityHide this!Advertise here!