Philips DAC960

Hey all,

I modified my DAC960 per the "pooge" series of articles in Audio Amateur some 20 years ago.
At the time I worked for Tektronix as a technician and had a well equipped stockroom to obtain parts from. The good old days.

I have used this DAC ever since. I have on occasion compared it to some fancy CD players, but always liked this better.

Anyway, wandered away from DIY for quite a number of years, come back here and see the TDA1541A is still enjoyed by many.
I knew nothing about Crowns, Double crowns and the like.

So I looked inside mine.......No S1, no Crown. Date code indicates it was made in 1987. HSH8749 2 Y

I guess I'll look for an upgrade.

Three of us audio heads bought the DAC960 to mod. One of the guys never did his and gave it to me for free some years later. So I actually have a stock one. I never have listened to it.

No questions really, just an interesting story.

Ron

I read those Pooge articles all those years ago too, most enjoyable. Can't recall what they used for I/V - was it AD811? You might find going to a discrete I/V improves things. There are also mods involving DEM reclocking which I don't think were mentioned in Pooge.