Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Oppo Sonica DAC
Oppo Sonica DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2018, 09:22 PM   #51
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the gapless problem? Why is this (technically) irreparable?

I will appreciate any comment

I insist with my concern.

I have removed Tidal and not to replace it with Spotify, obviously ......
Does anyone have any ideas because the gapless in Oppo Sócnica happens? There is no solution ? How do reviewers not recommend avoiding buying a product with such a failure?
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:17 AM   #52
twentyfourbit is offline twentyfourbit
diyAudio Member

The Sonica DAC plays gapless from its optical, coax, usb and bluetooth inputs (usb input = connect a pc/mac/raspberry via usb). Also Spotify is gapless. If the Sonica DAC streams via DLNA from a networked disk or from a disk directly connected then it cannot play gapless. Only OPPO can tell why.

However, there is an easy work-around (and this DIY audio, isn't it!). I added a raspberry pi, installed piCorePlayer/LMS, connect through usb. Just a normal raspberry pi 3 will do, no additional cards/interfaces necessary. Now, this one takes care of gapless and if you wish also ReplayGain.

The sonica is a great dac for playing DSD and high resolution audio (24/88, 24/96 and up). I feel no need to improve on that. The dac uses a minimal phase digital filter. Many people like that. However, to my taste, I prefer a linear phase filter for CD-like audio files 16/44. Using the raspberry pi in front of the Sonica DAC, you can choose the filter settings that you like most.

(BTW, a great starting point for playing with digital filters is this blog-post: Archimago's Musings: HOWTO / MUSINGS: Playing with Digital Filtering - Impulse Responses and Frequency Effects resembling Chord, Old-Skool Meridian, MQA, NOS... )
Old 12th March 2018, 11:24 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfourbit View Post

Also SPotify is gaplees .......

Thanks for answering !

You say that with Spotify I will not have gapless as it happens with Tidal?

That would be enough for me, all the other solutions that you recommend me to overcome this problem exceed me, sincerely.

I am from the time of valves and monophonic equipment .....

And yes, via USB connection I am enjoying the Oppo Sonica with my netbook and a 1 TB external hard disk in which I have my favorite music.......

Regards

Rolo

Last edited by academia50; 12th March 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 13th March 2018, 05:18 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Yes, Spotify on Sonica DAC plays gapless, I just double-checked it with Pink Floyds Dark Side of the moon: OK. (I don't have a Tidal subscription so I don't know about that).
Old 14th March 2018, 04:00 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfourbit View Post
Yes, Spotify on Sonica DAC plays gapless, I just double-checked it with Pink Floyds Dark Side of the moon: OK. (I don't have a Tidal subscription so I don't know about that).

If it is as you say it would be something that the reviewers would have noticed. I suggest that you try the Tidal, and I will do the same with Spotify. .
Both have free trial versions.
Old 14th March 2018, 10:59 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Here is the result, tested Tidal Hifi free trial, played Pink Floyd album Dark Side of the moon: NOT gapless on the Sonica. The same album on the PC with the Tidal app in hifi setting: gapless. So I guess, the Sonica app cannot play Tidal gapless, but it can play Spotify gapless.
Old 21st March 2018, 03:13 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Hi

Your conclusion is correct. I have installed the Spotify trial version:

Does not allow using Oppo Sonica DAC. It does not recognize the device .
But I have seen an option to select YES or NO gapless.

I have written to Tidal's technical support asking why its application does not reproduce gapless.

The reviewers have not thoroughly examined the OSDAC, it seems .....

Well, if I do not have an answer soon (I'm afraid of this) I will subscribe to Spotify, I hope the full-premium version does not have as much publicity.
I'll see what happens and I'll tell you here, I think there's been a lot of unnecessary talk about this "flaw" of OSDAC and then the problem is not the hardware but the streaming program ?

Regards and thanks for su opinion !
Old 21st March 2018, 03:15 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
Hi

Your conclusion is correct. I have installed the Spotify trial version:

Does not allow using Oppo Sonica DAC. It does not recognize the device in the smartphone with Android. Yes in the netbooks with Windows 7
But I have seen an option to select YES or NO gapless in the smartphone.

I have written to Tidal's technical support asking why its application does not reproduce gapless.

The reviewers have not thoroughly examined the OSDAC, it seems .....

Well, if I do not have an answer soon (I'm afraid of this) I will subscribe to Spotify, I hope the full-premium version does not have as much publicity.
I'll see what happens and I'll tell you here, I think there's been a lot of unnecessary talk about this "flaw" of OSDAC and then the problem is not the hardware but the streaming program ?

Regards and thanks for your opinion !

Last edited by academia50; 21st March 2018 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Correction text, i sorry
Old 12th April 2018, 09:56 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

I would like to take advantage of the sound quality that OSDAC offers to digitize vinyl. I have shared opinions in other forums and I have no certainties. There is an AUX IN input (RCA connectors) in which an analog signal is received and it is digitized and then analogue again by OUT PUT (RCA-XLR Balanced) But I note that there is a USB Type A connector indicated "USB Host" - When USB is a bidereccional system, can it be used as a digital output?

I will appreciate any qualified opinion about it.

By the way, Oppo does not sell directly in this product, there are versions that will be discontinued ..... quite unintelligible, it is an excellent product and at a great price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonica-DAC_back-hr b.jpg (535.1 KB, 89 views)
Old 12th April 2018, 11:35 PM   #60
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Oppo Sonica DAC
Oppo is going out of business: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#56d4886c3acc so I'd say that this dac is no longer a valid contender.

Oppo Sonica DACHide this!Advertise here!