ES9016 multichannel DAC with I2S input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PCB filled up wit copper pour...
Ideas are welcome!!!

Attachments

• concept_3d_7comp.jpg
    concept_3d_7comp.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 461
  • concept_3d_7top.JPG
    concept_3d_7top.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 417
  • concept_3d_7back.JPG
    concept_3d_7back.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Dear all,
I have some email correspondence with the europian ESS sales and marketing office with following results:

The costs of a ES9016 DAC IC incl. shipping is about 47€, very expensive!!!
By more samples: (35*x + 20) €. (for example 10 pieces cost 370€)

Furthermore:
"ESS does not support open source designs. I suggest that you do not post your design on a public forum."

My conclusion:
ESS is following a very stupid marketing strategy to make all open DIY project impossible!
So, I invest no more into ESS chips. I will choose the AK4458. Costs <10€, are well documented, and have about the same quality parameters. Output filter can be made even easier....

Congratulations ESS, own goal, keep going on...!!! :)

p.s.: please do not see, do not touch what I shared because of these are all TOP SECRET things....lol....!!
(I can not delete this posts only the administrator...)

Last edited:
Found a comparison:
(perhaps subjective, and I know that a lot of things depends on the implementation, but a good starting point anyway)

"1. Burr-Brown PCM1792A- thick mid, good bass and slightly rolled off highs. Somewhat full bodied sound.
2. Cirrus Logic CS4398- lively sound; bass is less, mid is less thick and a bit neutral while highs is extended. No so full bodied sound.
3. Wolfson WM8740 - more bass, thick mid, a bit warmer sounding, highs a bit rolled off. Somewhat full bodied sound.
4. Sabre ESS9018- clean sounding, a bit to the clinical side, light bass, almost neutral mid and high is very extended, some 'sweetness' - not so full bodied sound
5. Verita AKM4490- good bass, thick mid and extended high, some sweetness. Overall full bodied sound - I would say, this one sound more musical then the rest."

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.