Multi channel DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

First up I'm using this tap talk App for the first time and it's hard to find the right category so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

Anyway, i got this idea. An android tablet connected to a 6 channel DAC. I'd be using the channels as:
* 2 x tweeter channel
* 2 x mid-range/mid bass channel
* subwoofer channel
Each channel has independent settings such as:
* HPF/LPF/BPF with variable slopes
* EQ
* Level
* time alignment.
* phase
* subwoofer specific EQ (say, 6ish band from 20hz up to 150hz)
* etc

That's about it for now. The idea just popped into my head and i thought I'd ask all you lovely people what you think?

So the question:

Does anything like this exist ATM?
Both the DAC and software?

I guess the other way I could phrase it is, is there a DSP with Android interface, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and external storage options like sd card, external HDD etc

Or perhaps a DSP that can be adjusted on the fly via Android tablet, while receiving music from that tablet?

I'm predominantly aiming to put this Frankenstein in a car, however, the reason I haven't put it in car audio is because I don't want to limit myself to just car audio products, as they are often lacking TBH but I'm not ruling them out either. (that would sure be easier!) Just want to keep things open. I'm capable of adapting anything for hi-fi use into car use with little trouble and is the least of my concerns.

Cheers 😉

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

... is there a DSP with Android interface, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and external storage options like sd card, external HDD etc

Or perhaps a DSP that can be adjusted on the fly via Android tablet, while receiving music from that tablet?

No, but there is something very close:
A Raspberry Pi 3 has:
OS is a linux variant
onboard WiFi and Bluetooth
onboard SD card for OS and other files
external storage via USB drive
miniDSP uDAC8 has 8 channels out
LADSPA/ecasound/ALSA linux audio DSP processing tools for EQ, filtering, etc.

Using a tablet over WiFi you can:
connect to the R-Pi and run a text terminal (e.g. SSH)
control a music player (e.g. mpd, etc.)

There are several members (myself included) already doing these things. I like to build active loudspeakers and this works for me. The R-Pi is great for multi-channel DSP processing. The uDAC8 would give you all the outputs you could possibly need and is plug-and-play under Linux.

Wow! That sounds awesome! Thank you!

Are there any good music played that run natively on the r-pi's OS? I choose android because it's familiar, but it sounds like allot less messing around to just connect a touch screen up to the pi, and go from there. Maybe plug in a keyboard and mouse for initial setup or something. But yeah. Very interesting man!

Three that spring to mind are....
Moodeaudio.org
volumio.org
runeaudio.com

The above have (or had?!?) similar look and feel. All use MPD as the main player software. Can address local or network storage devices and play from them. Or use upnp with server/control point/renderer or airplay etc.

Use MPDROID or Bubbleupnp on the phone or tablet to control it.

J.

Wow! That sounds awesome! Thank you!

Are there any good music played that run natively on the r-pi's OS? I choose android because it's familiar, but it sounds like allot less messing around to just connect a touch screen up to the pi, and go from there. Maybe plug in a keyboard and mouse for initial setup or something. But yeah. Very interesting man!

The way I do it in my home is to use a tablet running Android over WiFi to control the software on the R-Pi (or similar computer). The Pi runs mpd. Mpd is a pretty robust platform for music playback, both local files and streaming (although I am not sure you would use that in a car!). But it runs as a daemon, like a background process. To control what it is doing, you also run an mpd "client". The client is like the "skin" of the player, with the GUI controls, buttons, etc. This can be run locally, on the same computer, or remotely over a local area network. In my home I have the client running on a 10" tablet, that I can walk around with. All the hardware that is actually running the system are hidden away. I think you would like this kind of functionality in an automotive setting too. You can have a midsized tablet up at the dash, or pass it to your passenger. But you would somehow need to set up a local WiFi network in the vehicle, which is likely possibly but not in my repertoire. A quick Google search turned up this How-To link: http://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-get-wifi-in-your-car.html

Hopefully that gives you a better understanding of how things are set up.

That's really awesome! Just what I needed to get my ideas flowing hahaha TBH my plan was to actually BUILD a head unit, with local storage, streaming from say, my phone over Bluetooth and maybe Wi-Fi, some kind of digital and analogue radio adaptor, and if I can fit it a CD player. I would fit it into a double din down factor with some kind of touch screen to interface with it. If the tablet is just being used to mirror the pi, I don't really see it's advantage, because the screen would be at arm's reach anyway.

With things like the raspberry pi, the software you mentioned, and enthusiasts like yourself driving it all, limitations are very well hidden 😄

(sorry for going off topic!)

A few things to note here:

Multi-channel out from an iOS device is possible with a camera connection kit and the right interface. For example: MOTU.com - Overview

For your use-case, it might be better to go optical out from the tablet then do all the processing on a MiniDSP and have that be your XO. You could also use something like a Behringer DEQ2496 if you need additional processing, but I've tried one in a car and had noise issues with running it on an inverter (tried a "pure sine" inverter as well, didn't help at all, still had bad alt whine). Minidsp makes a processor specifically for automotive use: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/c-dsp-6x8 . While I haven't personally tried it, running optical from the tablet to that as your processor powered by their 12v isolator: https://www.minidsp.com/products/accessories/minidc-isolator seems like a good solution. For optical out from a tablet, check these: Ready made . Amazon has mini Toslink to normal toslink cables which are a little more robust than using an adapter. They're also cheap.

Lastly, if going the rPi route, make sure mpd will work for you. It's a powerful system but if you're not into Linux it can be challenging to set up. There are lots of users and documentation, but personally, even though I've been working with Linux professionally for a decade, i just want something that works reliably. Also verify that everything you want to run has ARM versions or is able to be compiled for ARM if using a Pi. There are also X86 boards, but the Pi has a much larger community than any of those. HackerBoards: Building blocks for the Internet of Things Has many different SBCs (single-board computers) to get an idea of what's out there. Shuttle mini PCs used to be popular "back in my day". Exercise lots of caution when thinking about power supplies to avoid noise. The MiniDSP 12v isolator, or any DC-DC isolation transformer, should be used for source equipment (like powering the SBC). You can try it first without it, but I would expect that some alt noise will get through.

Sounds like a fun project :)

sorry for the off topic. : Charlie, do you know, this RPi3 can play XBMC at 720p and also do DSP for 8 channels with no problems?
Thanks!

Not sure, honestly, because I don't use the Pi for video. But I would guess the answer is yes. Even 8 channels of IIR filtering is not super CPU intensive (note that this depends on the sample rate of the audio you are processing!). Video is handled by the onboard GPU and it can ALMOST do 4k (it can do it, but not at 30fps). 720p should be fine. You probably will not know 100% until you try it.

Keep in mind that there are other more powerful SBCs (single board computers) available. Check out Friendly Elec. They have a couple of 8-core boards like this one with WiFi and Bluetooth for just a little more coin. The advantage (for me) of the Pi platform is that the user base is huge, there is very good support, and the OS ports are robust.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.