XDA-2 w/ DDRC22D "effects loop" mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been thinking something over and want to run it past everyone to see if I'm crazy or not...

I have an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC that I use as my preamplifier / source selector. All of my input sources are digital.

Soon I will have a MiniDSP DDRC-22D. I've read not-so-good things about the noise floor on the DDRC-22A model when used with high-efficiency speakers, which is why I chose to stay in the digital domain for the room correction.

Now, I can put the DDRC-22D on one of my input sources and feed one of the XDA-2 inputs with the output of the DDRC-22D and be happy. Happy until I want to move it to a different source.

What I've been thinking about is modifying the XDA-2. If I lifted the I2S input on the AD1955 and ran it to an SPDIF converter, and also took what WAS going to the AD1955 and ran it to an SPDIF converter, I could have essentially an SPDIF in/out as a digital "effects loop" on the rear panel of the XDA-2.

If I ran a plain piece of coax from in to out, I'd get exactly what the XDA-2 does normally.

But - it would allow me to put the DDRC-22D in the loop. It would see what the XDA-2 input selector has selected, process it, then put it back in to the XDA-2 where it would go to the AD1955 DAC.

Any thoughts at all on this would be appreciated. I've been doing embedded microcontroller stuff / circuit design / PCB layout for more than 25 years, so I feel confident that I *could* make this work. The question is, does it make any sense at all or is there any interest from others in this project?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.