Troubleshooting RPi/Moode -> Buffalo II I2S: only distorted sound on one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fiolks,

I'm having troubling getting I2S output from a Raspberry Pi 2B running Moode to my Buffalo II DAC working, and I'd appreciate some help.

The Buffalo works fine via the S/PDIF input, so I don't have any problems with my I/V or anything later in the chain.

When I connect up the RPi to the Buafflo (and switch the latter's SP/DIF switch to off) all I get is badly distorted sound in the right channel and nothing in the left. My connections are as follows:-

Ground: RPi Pin 39 (GND) -> Buffalo GND
BCK: RPi Pin 12 (GPIO 18) -> Buffalo DCK
LRCK: RPi Pin 35 (GPIO 19) -> Buffalo D1
DOUT: RPi Pin 40 (GPIO 21) -> Buffalo D2.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jon

Although I am not an owner of a buffalo, if I remember correctly, you have to force 32 bit in mpd.conf file in order for it to be able work with i2s/rpi. If moode has sox installed, you could try the following line:

Code:
samplerate_converter "soxr very high"
format "*:32:*"

Hi Mike,

Interesting. I didn't know that wild cards could be used in audio_output_format.

Learned something new :) Thx

-Tim

Thank you both. I've been banging my head against that for a while, but that did the job. I've configured Moode to resample to 32 bit and now I have music.

Thanks again, Jon.

Hi Jon,

I have a Moode 3.0 test image that u can try which uses Clive kernel and simple-bclk-64fs setting for Buffalo DAC. This should allow 16/24/32 bit depth without resampling.

If u are interested send me an email and I'll provide download link and password.

-Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.