New DAC based on AK4497EQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There already DIY DAC based on this chipset starts appearing on Ebay and Aliexpress. Does anyone has an opinion or idea how this chipset will perform against its older models AK4490/4495? It appears that this chipset is much more expensive than its the older models.

I built up a prototype DAC using a AK4497 sample chip & compared it to my AK4490 based Klein DAC which I manufacture. It is very similar sonically to the AK4490 version but I probably need to do some more critical comparisons to be certain if there is much difference.
Hey by any chance are you Tean Tan who designed the tube preamp & power amp that appeared in Electronics Australia many years ago?
Regards Clayton

I built up a prototype DAC using a AK4497 sample chip & compared it to my AK4490 based Klein DAC which I manufacture. It is very similar sonically to the AK4490 version but I probably need to do some more critical comparisons to be certain if there is much difference.
I suppose this chipset has more features than AK4490 but costs more, I built a Chinese DIY kit set based on Dual AK4490, it sounded quite good compared to the much older AK4396/9

Hey by any chance are you Tean Tan who designed the tube preamp & power amp that appeared in Electronics Australia many years ago?
Yes. I am still alive and well.
Regards Clayton

Re; AK4497EQ production release
The press release from AKM stated "summer 2016" so it looks like there may be a delay. I have asked AKM Asia several times but have had no response.

Tean; good to hear it is indeed you. I used to have a shop called "Clays Hi-Fi" & brought several lovely timbre valve amp chassis & pcb's from you in the mid 90's.
The AK4497EQ does not appear to have many more features than the AK4490EQ.
One extra filter setting & DSD512. I think pricing will be similar too. (Under $10)
I'm building a new modular DAC/Pre so when the AK4497EQ is actually available I will able just swap the digital board over for an easy upgrade.
Link with some photos - scroll down
DAC Preamp wish list - Page 4 - Gieseler Audio - StereoNET

Does anyone know when this chip will be actually available from official distributors?

Boards with AK4497 are starting to pop at various online store like ebay and aliexpress. I have seems a single chip going for 200 CNY or around 30USD.

The Gustard A20H is out using AK4497
Gustard A20H DAC with dual AK4497EQ

Some hi end player using AK4497
Premium Audio News | AK4497 | LINN | KATALYST | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices
Premium Audio News | AK4497 | ESOTERIC | Grandioso K1 | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices

Regards Clayton

Please update us on the sound quality difference. I would imagine both would have similar sound signature.

I am using a AK4495 board using Lipo4 batteries and using only 2 supplies 3.2v and 6.4V . But I was a bit disappointed that AK4497 remove the ability to use higher voltage (5V max) for analogue section and added one more 1.8V.

Re; AK4497EQ production release
The press release from AKM stated "summer 2016" so it looks like there may be a delay. I have asked AKM Asia several times but have had no response.

Tean; good to hear it is indeed you. I used to have a shop called "Clays Hi-Fi" & brought several lovely timbre valve amp chassis & pcb's from you in the mid 90's.
The AK4497EQ does not appear to have many more features than the AK4490EQ.
One extra filter setting & DSD512. I think pricing will be similar too. (Under $10)
I'm building a new modular DAC/Pre so when the AK4497EQ is actually available I will able just swap the digital board over for an easy upgrade.
Link with some photos - scroll down
DAC Preamp wish list - Page 4 - Gieseler Audio - StereoNET

Clay, I think 4497 is quite different internally from 4490 to allow the
superior DR and THD performance. Note that the data sheet quoted figures
and what is actually achievable from the chip are two separate results. I
believe these chips now, with careful design are at limit of what can be
reliably measured with AP test sets.

I'm also working on AK4497 DAC but early days - these new gen AKM chips
are very good.

I notice on your latest DAC / Pre you have some nice (Jensen?) OP
transformers - good move, I have also used these for many years on various
projects but not cheap though.

cheers

Terry

Hi Terry,
great to hear from you.
That is interesting info regarding the AK4497EQ. I notice the total current draw is a lot higher that the AK4490EQ too but no option to bump up the analogue supply to 7.2v
Doing that certainly improved the sound on my 4490 DAC.
Yes love the Jensen OP transformer but you are right - expensive.
Photo of my AK4497EQ prototype - sounding good - just need a good DSD 512 test track
regards
Clay
IMG_2736 (Medium).JPG

This chip has a "heavy load" drive mode (HLOAD) but the datasheet does not indicate if there is any downside to using it :( .

Yes, there are quite a few interesting features to be explored.

WRT heavy load setting, hard to know, maybe there are changes in OP stage
bias to allow more dissipation. In that case performance would be worse but
it's just a guess. Measure / listen will tell the answer.

T

Hi Terry,
great to hear from you.
That is interesting info regarding the AK4497EQ. I notice the total current draw is a lot higher that the AK4490EQ too but no option to bump up the analogue supply to 7.2v
Doing that certainly improved the sound on my 4490 DAC.
Yes love the Jensen OP transformer but you are right - expensive.
Photo of my AK4497EQ prototype - sounding good - just need a good DSD 512 test track
regards
Clay
View attachment 571972

I have a Jensen jt11p with the ak4495, it sound pretty darn good.
One thing about transformers is that a lot of them ring (I have measured a few with a scope). For Jensen jt11p I use their recommended snubber 13k + 620pf across the secondary and the measurement looks good, you might want to check the snubber value for your your Jensen.

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for that info. I will fire up the scope & see how a square wave looks.
The transformers I am using are Jensen JT-11-FLCF. 1:1 standard 600/600 ohm output transformers. My board has no output stage so the transformers were just a quick lash up to have a listen. Currently no snubber or loading on the secondary but I have to admit it sounds pretty good as is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.