Historic PCM56P applications: Denon DAP2500 vs. DAP5500.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Denon DAP2500, and while browsing the service manual I noticed that it has a sample-and-hold circuit (despite using two DACs per channel) that I assume is for deglitching.

By comparison, the (older but also more expensive) DAP5500 (also PCM56P, but -K) doesn't have the sample-and-hold but uses a more aggressive and presumably expensive analog filter than the 2500.

My first guess was that this is due to the DAP2500 being a newer implementation, or maybe there is something (the analog filter?) that makes this just a cheaper approach (?). I also haven't dug deeply into the digital filters (both are 4x OS, though).

Was this a common trick to s&h a (supposedly) non-glitchy DAC to relax filter requirements? Or am I overlooking something else that is happening? Some old threads on their CD players of the era (DCD-810) suggest that they also have s&h circuits with dual PCM56Ps.

Last edited:
Denon used to used 20bit DAC with fewer resolution IC and eternal DAC with logic IC and resistors.The two DAC's conversion timing have some error so glitch happens hence deglitcher is needed.

Sorry to reply so late...

The DAP2500 does not use any extra logic to achieve higher resolution -- It is just a 16 bit DAC, with PCM56P and a deglitcher.

But, judging by some pictures I found of the DAP5500 analog filter, which must have been very expensive, the deglitcher in the 2500 must provide a significant cost savings and perhaps even some measurable performance advantage.

Just for fun.

Here's the DAP-5500 filter circuit, and the Denon DCD-1500 CD player's analog filter.
The DCD-1500 is from the mid eighties, the next DCD in line was the 1500II which already didn't have the linear phase analog filter.

Attachments

• Denon DAP-5500 filter.jpg
    Denon DAP-5500 filter.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Denon DCD-1500 filter.jpg
    Denon DCD-1500 filter.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 133
  • SAM_0700 DCD-1500 filter top.jpg
    SAM_0700 DCD-1500 filter top.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 148
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.