Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2017, 03:23 PM   #781
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistollero View Post
Hi weymario,
do you feel improvement with rpi-isolator-hfb digi+pro versus only the digi+pro??

regards
Nuno
Hi pistollero

I got Hifiberry digi+ pro and Ian's pi isolator. I tried with and without isolator. I powered pi and hifiberry digi+ pro with separate high quality 5V linear regulators. Eventually in my conditions I use hifiberry digi+ pro without isolator, since isolator did not bring any improvement. You need to remember that isolator brings jitter to the singnal, so it would have to be reclocked afterwards, otherwise isolator may make more bad that good to the signal.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:30 PM   #782
pistollero is offline pistollero  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioFrancotirador View Post
Hi pistollero

I got Hifiberry digi+ pro and Ian's pi isolator. I tried with and without isolator. I powered pi and hifiberry digi+ pro with separate high quality 5V linear regulators. Eventually in my conditions I use hifiberry digi+ pro without isolator, since isolator did not bring any improvement. You need to remember that isolator brings jitter to the singnal, so it would have to be reclocked afterwards, otherwise isolator may make more bad that good to the signal.
Ok thanks.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:43 PM   #783
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi pistollero

Uhm, I thought the I2S output of the Hifiberry digi+ already has its own isolation? I don't think adding another isolator would add much.
Old 9th November 2017, 04:52 PM   #784
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
Uhm, I thought the I2S output of the Hifiberry digi+ already has its own isolation? I don't think adding another isolator would add much.
Hifiberry digi+ pro does not have isolation nor reclocking on I2S line. In regards of I2S it just supplies pi with external audio frequency clocks and make synchronous clocking with your destination device (dac) possible. This is already a lot!

Last edited by TioFrancotirador; 9th November 2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:31 PM   #785
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hifiberry digi+ pro does not have isolation nor reclocking on I2S line.
I just checked here. The DIGI+ PRO does have galvanic isolation on the I2S output, and it does have its own clock(s).
Old 9th November 2017, 09:37 PM   #786
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
I just checked here. The DIGI+ PRO does have galvanic isolation on the I2S output, and it does have its own clock(s).
It is galvanic isolation for coax with use of transformer and obviously for toslink because it is light, but not for I2S. Hifiberry I2S shares common ground with RPI and any dac connected to it.

Last edited by TioFrancotirador; 9th November 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:20 PM   #787
pistollero is offline pistollero  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is galvanic isolation for coax with use of transformer and obviously for toslink because it is light, but not for I2S. Hifiberry I2S shares common ground with RPI and any dac connected to it.
Yes i think you are right... because of that i was thinking of using allo isolator because of that.
Old 14th November 2017, 08:49 PM   #788
waupee is offline waupee
diyAudio Member

Hi

There is a problem with my kali. I`m using it with volumio on an rpi2 and piano 2.1. I can`t play Flac files with 44.1khz - the kali switches in short sequences to empty and interrupt the sound. It only woks if I configure resampling in volumio to 48khz and even then interruptions happen. Is that a hardware problem of the kali or does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks for help!
Old 15th November 2017, 07:22 AM   #789
diyAudio Member

Is this only with FLAC? Other formats are ok?
The RPi decodes the data files and then sends the decoded I2S to the Kali. The I2S data does not depend on the file format used for the audio files. So if the issue is isolated to FLAC I'd look for software issues.
Old 15th November 2017, 11:21 AM   #790
druidaudio is offline druidaudio  Wales
diyAudio Member

I have a similar problem. I can play 48k and their multiplied family files ok, but not 44.1k files from my NAS.
Interestingly, it will play 44.1k files from internet radio stations. In all cases the 44.1k LEDs light up ok.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCsHide this!Advertise here!