New? Sure Electronics ADAU1701 Module

I just received contact from Lillian at Sure Electronics/WondoM. She provided PDF's which are a bit more useful than the webstore documentation, especially on what "in circuit programmer" entails.
Sure Electronics ADAU1701 (AA-AP23122) documentation - Album on Imgur

Does anyone know if there's circuitry between the pcb mclk pin (J4 header pin 1) and the adau's mclki pin, or if the on-board crystal circuit will interfere with an external signal applied if I disable the oscillator via register? On the converse has anyone tried using the mp11 pin to feed the internal mclk to other devices per the adau1701 datasheet page 18? I believe in master output mode setting reg 2078 obf bits to 10 should produce a 256xfs signal, at the sacrifice of digital output.

I try to paint the circuit

Thanks for providing that! :D I had a dead board at hand so I removed and measured some of the components labeled with question marks:

C30, C31, C32 & C33 - measured between 2.2 and 2.3 uF

C3, C11, C28 & C34 - measured 500 pF

C2 & C6 - measured 2.4 uF

RV1, RV4, RV5 & RV6 - I believe these are varistors: they basically measure infinite resistance until a certain voltage and then "break down" for transient protection. I'm not familiar with how to characterize their parameters and couldn't make out the chip markings. In any case I think they can be ignored under normal operating conditions.

Adau1701 Sure

I just received 3 boards from Sure. Specifically the ADAU1701 main board, the interface extension kit and the freeusbi programmer kit (cyprus board + freeusbi derived board). After a lot of tinkering I was able to get it to work, but it is a little bit inconvenient.

1. If I try to start with the freeusbi stack plugged into the adau1701 board, it doesn't detect the usb properly (it shows up as an unknown device). (The i2c light on the freeusbi is not lit)

2. If I follow this specific procedure it works

a. Unplug the 6 pin molex that connects the freeusb to the adau1701 board.
b. Power on both boards independently (i get a lit green light for i2c line on the freeusbi)
c. At this point windows 10 detects the freeusbi driver properly
d. Plug in the 6 pin molex (while the boards are running) between the two boards
e. Use sigmastudio and it works fine. (Well it's a little tricky to test, because I don't have the interface board, but I can make signal soiurces in sigma studio and see the proper waveform on my oscilloscope)

3. The interface board I got seems just broken. I can't the system to program when that is plugged. I haven't had a chance to try to test it in isolation to see if it has a short that is causing the rest of the system to misbehave.

Curious if anybody else is hitting this. This is making me inclined to try to talk to the adau1701 board direcly over i2c from a 3.3v arduino or something and statically copy sigmastudio programs.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is making me inclined to try to talk to the adau1701 board direcly over i2c from a 3.3v arduino or something and statically copy sigmastudio programs.

That works fine. The SigmaStudio compiler outputs a ".h" file that can be compiled with the Arduino code. However, you will need to extend the I2C routines in Wire.h because they don't know how to deal with the 16-bit I2C sub-addresses used in the ADAU1701. This is discussed in detail in Article #5 at Audiodevelopers.com.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's one of the challenges of these low-cost boards--they don't publish revision data so you don't always know what you are going to get. The 12MHz crystal is just weird--it probably won't cause any problems because it is not that far off from the specified value. But there may be some applications where it is a problem--depends on how you intend to use the board. I assume that all of the newer boards use the 12.228MHz crystal, but only Sure knows for sure.

Does anyone know if there's circuitry between the pcb mclk pin (J4 header pin 1) and the adau's mclki pin, or if the on-board crystal circuit will interfere with an external signal applied if I disable the oscillator via register? On the converse has anyone tried using the mp11 pin to feed the internal mclk to other devices per the adau1701 datasheet page 18? I believe in master output mode setting reg 2078 obf bits to 10 should produce a 256xfs signal, at the sacrifice of digital output.

As far as i remember correctly and from how good i could figure out the wiring by using my ohm-meter: sure somehow used the circuit from adau1701 datasheet page 18 (with the wrong 12.000 in the early boards). and the mclk on the 2x10 pin header is directly wired to mclk of the adau.

i wanted a mclk for other devices (ADCs.. DACs...) and therefor unsoldered the XO32 thing named 12.000 (actually does anyone know, is it a passive crystal or an active crystal oscillator providing TTL compatible signal?) and the two capacitors next to it. i the soldered an active crystal oscillator (12.288Mhz 3.3V) on and could use the mclk on the 2x10 pin header for my ADCs and DACs.

I actually could now power down the OSCO, but i haven't found where in Sigma Studio!?

Hi! This the first time for me in this forum. I need help from someone. I bought the sure wondom(dsp) and the eval-adusb2z. The second is working as it should. But I can't get I2C connection between these two. I don't have the 10 pin to 6 adapter then I thought to build one by my self. What is wrong? I followed the guide from the German guy in YouTube but without success(he uses a freeusbi but I don't think is a big difference). Thanks to anyone wants or can reply!

Can't programm 1701

Hi,
I recently bought two adau1701 from sure. I do have some problems that I have not seen in the forum yet:

I use the ICP1 programmer (but also have the Cypress board with the Sure adapter).

Drivers seem to be installed OK, I get a green from SigmaStudio. I can read and write the eeprom, but do not seem to be able to communicate with the DSP directly. I get a comms failure and also cannot read the DSP registers. Both boards show the same behavior.

The most recent boards are a bit different. First they connect 5v power (pin2) on the 6 pin program connector instead of selfboot. I did check that the switch actually pulls selfboot on the 1701 to GND or 3.3V.

WP and Selfboot seem to be connected, where does WP go ?

Second the ICP1 also has a switch labled 'remote' and 'program' . Not sure what it does, no docs about this. Does anybody know more about the ICP1. It also has the Cypress EZUsb, a 16bit PIC processor on the board and another EEPROM. There is also some space for a Bluetooth module.
The 3 LED's are labled RUN, TX, RX. In one switch position (run) just the run is on. In the other (program) all three fade from dark to brighter and back etc.

Has anyone had success in communicating with the DSP via the ICP1 ?
Any suggestions how to debug this problem. I already spend way too much time with it.

Thanks!

YouTube

I received mine a couple of weeks ago, spent last night and this afternoon banging my head against a wall until I found the video above and added the 'E2Prom' module.
I'm also now powering the DSP with a separate power supply - phone charger and using a USB2 port, not USB3 for the programmer, seems more reliable writing to the DSP this way, I think there was a possible noise issue when powering both DSP and Programmer from the PC's USB Ports simultaneously.

the germans put up some wiki thats being written right now, it grows everyday, but be careful- some information like the programming procedure and the board revision has to be taken with a grain of salt.

german suredsp wiki

specially the pid and vid of .inf file are important. in the windows10 device manager there is some area like "wanted device properties", insert the values in the usbi .inf file before installing.

my procedure of programming to the eeprom and uploading the sketch goes like this as derived from a single post in the german forum:

-) jumper connection like aselle (plus J1 open, J2 closed all the time, depends whether you got a board with 1 or 2 jumpers)
-) write protect swtich to the left (as seen from the front of the board)
-) link compile download
-) write protect switch back to right
-) disconnect all programming jumper wires
-) reset dsp

this took me a couple of weeks, but it payed off in my particular situation.

@ernperkins: thx a lot for the measurements! i wondered why i got this rolloff in my mic measurements with the rca board. i will keep this in mind for the future.

The nice thing about the Sure ICP1 programmer is you don't need to worry about the PID/VID renaming and getting the ADI_USBi.spt file downloaded. The Sure team put all of that in the ICP1 firmware. I initially spent hours and hours with the USBi programmer before I got it to work. The ICP1 makes it pretty much plug and play like their youtube video shows.

good to know, i could not find feedback about the sure programmer so i went with the cypress. in the meantime during shipping of the programmer i tried to use my raspberry for this task. this was even a greater "journey" because of uncertain i2c adresses(i2cdetect found something on 0x50 but this didnt make sense). maybe in the far future i*ll try sigmatcp (linux) one more time. its supposed to do remote programming. idk if remote programming is possible with a cypress/raspberry combination.
if somebody gets it to work this would also be interesting.