Soekris: Sonics? Comparisons to? & Other Stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought early rev1 dam1021. Satisfied. After making some vref mods. Even more satisified.
Sold my expensive Audio Note dac. Never looked back. Great being able to make my own filters and playing with them. Yes they are quite a bit better sounding than stock in my setup :)

Thanks soekris for bringing this "technology" to us diyers.

Nice to see someone understands....

Yeah I understand your complaint, yet I myself also balance that understanding with some of the things others have pointed out on the thread. Like that marketing in audio is known to be hyperbolic. And the old wisdom 'Caveat Emptor'.

Then ask yourself if its really likely that a guy, who as far as we know had no record of designing high-end DACs, and who also designs by the numbers is going to come up with something that's the equal of say TotalDac which has benefitted from market feedback over a number of years? My own answer to this is 'very, very unlikely'.

How is ease of use/configurability with the latest version of the DAM? How does one "filter roll" with the current version?

For those that were planning to use it in multichannel crossover application this should now be possible with the MiniDSP USB streamer as the transport and I believe one user has implemented multiple DAMs with this, though I will need to double check that.

Then ask yourself if its really likely that a guy, who as far as we know had no record of designing high-end DACs, and who also designs by the numbers is going to come up with something that's the equal of say TotalDac which has benefitted from market feedback over a number of years? My own answer to this is 'very, very unlikely'.

the other newer products dont exhibit any change in design philosophy either :(

Its looking as if @kuribo's public shaming has borne some fruit (scroll down to the last post) - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/32133-soekris-r2r-dac-heads-up/

Looks as if Soren offered to update his boards for $25/per but he initially declined and expected it for free. Now he accepts that deal after someone else agreed that it was a good deal... I mean that's an awesome deal, I'd so jump on that.

Hey Soren how much can you sell those v1 boards for? I'm sure many here would love some discounted boards to mod. :D

Well my thoughts are for any diy kit be it assembled or unsoldered should
at least be properly develop before sales. Off course being diy, tweaks or
improvement there after is all up to the builder. At the same time I do think
it is fair for the designer to charge for extra services beyond certain hours
of tech support.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.