DAC Kit recommendation please -- I need to upgrade my Fiio D3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi Nautiboy, how would you compare the jlssounds 4490 vs buffalo, I am thinking about buying one as they are cheap and seem well engineered. Tube sound will influence of course.

I can happily listen to either for prolonged periods. The Buffalo is perhaps a little weightier in its sound but the AK4490 is slightly more nuanced - given the very different implementations it's not really possible to isolate what is down to the actual DAC. I don't think you can go far wrong with the JLSounds AK4490.

Recently, all of my playback has been DSD only - I'm upsampling my FLAC rips to DSD256 using HQPlayer - and in that context my preference is the AK4490, which has a DSD-direct mode.

Thanks Nautiboy. Nice to see the BCF put to good use. I would be tempted to go balanced with the JLSounds dac and add another BCF. Did you order the caps from Broskies website?

The JLSounds AK4490 has a differential/balanced output - The BCF is a balanced to unbalanced buffer? If you want to keep it balanced maybe go for a pair of Broskie ACFs?

Caps are Multicap RTX from Percy Audio.

Just to illustrate my point about Chinese sellers offering some nice chassis options, here's a picture of my DIY build that now has the AK4490 DAC board from JLSounds.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The previous picture of the Curryman is also a Chinese sourced chassis.

Love the case, have an ebay link for it?

By the way, added three .1uf filtering caps to the input of the 7805 (that's feeding my FIIO D3 V1) along with 4 x 1000uf 25v electrolytics. There was .1uf on the output already, and added a 47uf 25v electrolytic on the output as well.

Those input filtering caps seem to have helped quite a bit with clarity of the sound -- or could this just be my imagination? The input filtering caps make the 7805 function better right?

What are those pretty blue transformers in your case? Get them from ebay? I guess that they are sealed helps? How do they compare to unsealed antek toroidal?

Also trying to figure out what each board is in the photo above? Can you tell me what each board is? Those boards don't look familiar looking at the jlsounds web site. I don't see any white or green boards there. What are the center two green ones? What supply boards are you using? Why are there 4 supplies/transformers? There is also some riser pcb on the that unidentified white pcb to the front right.

Last edited:
What are those pretty blue transformers in your case? Get them from ebay? I guess that they are sealed helps? How do they compare to unsealed antek toroidal?

They're just encapsulated PCB mounted transformers - they're small and neat and just work.

Also trying to figure out what each board is in the photo above? Can you tell me what each board is? Those boards don't look familiar looking at the jlsounds web site. I don't see any white or green boards there. What are the center two green ones? What supply boards are you using? Why are there 4 supplies/transformers? There is also some riser pcb on the that unidentified white pcb to the front right.

This is my Curryman project, none of it is JLSounds.

White PCB is a DIYINHK USB board (small add on board is a low noise regulator).

Blue PCB is the Curryman DAC.

Two Green PCBs are JLH headphone amps.

Power supply boards are from the Curryman DAC designer, bought via a group buy a year or two back. Two PSU at the back are for the amp boards and the others are for the DAC/USB boards.

Thank you! Where did you get those transformers if you don't mind? Have a link? I need to build a linear regulated 9v dc supply for my SMSL M8 I'm getting Friday (since is goes with a SMPS wall wart). I could use a 25va 9v Antek toroidal if that's just as good as those blue ones. Along with the low noise 1A dc supply board someone mentioned to me earlier in this thread (it uses 8 jumpers to digitally select output voltage).

The transformers in my Curryman build are only 10VA, though you can get bigger ones.

I would stick with the Antek as it's leadout wires will make connecting up simpler, the encapsulated transformers have pins for mounting to a PCB. Either type will deliver 9VAC to the power regulator board.

Do you mean Ales's power supply board?

Modifying my FIIO D3 V1 DAC Again..

Here it is inside a well used old-school (no longer available) Radio Shack metal enclosure. (Used foil tape to cover up old holes from previous projects.)

It's on the left side with the rca outputs on the front soldered to the new gold rca connecters on the back. Also on the front is a 5V usb power input.

I don't use the stock 5V usb style switching power supply because the sound is terrible in comparison to a linear power supply.

On the right side is my 7805 voltage regulated supplying the DAC with the needed 5 volts. The input is coming from a 13.8V Pyramid PS-3KX linear power supply. Quite a difference in voltage, but since it is such little draw on the regulator, it gets barely warm with the heat sink in the enclosed case (with no vent holes).

I just added 8 x 1000uf 25V electrolytic smoothing caps on the input to the regulator along with 3 x .1uf filtering ceramic disc caps. I didn't have a .3uf so used three .1uf in parallel. I also didn't have a 10,000uf electrolytic so settled for 8x1k uf -- hope this is okay?

On the output is a .1uf filtering cap (larger diameter one -- don't know the voltage difference between the two sizes). Also on the output is a 47uf smoothing electrolytic along with a recently added 1000uf smoothing electrolytic.

I hope I did okay with this. Let me know your thoughts.

Just added aluminum foil duct tape between the DAC and dc supply board to possibly help with any shielding.

68bv6d.jpg

The addition of the filtering caps on the input seems to help.. things sound a bit more clear.. don't know if it is my imagination or not.. WOuld this make sense if things did sound better? There is another smoothing cap and filtering cap inside the DAC with another regulator bringing it down to 3.3V .. a shunt regulator inside it (however those work.. need to learn about them).

Last edited:
So you can take a 44/16 PCM and upsample to dsd256 and it will sound better than playing it as PCM 44/16? How does that work? Does it sound lots better?

Still experimenting but I like the sound. Upsampling is done on the fly with HQPlayer software (needs a powerful PC though).

The really interesting thing is that you don't need a DAC chip to decode DSD;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac.html

But this is getting off topic...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.