Dual Mono wiring for a Vout DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2016, 08:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual Mono wiring for a Vout DAC

Can somebody please help me with the correct configuration of a wiring the analogue outputs of a dual mono Vout DAC?
I know for a current output DAC its a parallel connection,the Right + is connected to Left + and Right - is connected to L-.
Instinctively, the connection for a Vout DAC is a series connection? ie. R- connected to L+?
However the AKM 4497 Datasheet seems to show a parallel connection, same as a current output DAC? (see attached excerpt)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK4497 Dual Mono Wiring.JPG (73.3 KB, 255 views)
Old 20th May 2016, 10:38 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Series connection gives you the sum of voltages. Parallel connection (via ballast resistors) gives you the average of voltages - which is half the sum, when there are two voltages. The only difference is 6dB in voltage level.
Old 20th May 2016, 11:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Series connection gives you the sum of voltages. Parallel connection (via ballast resistors) gives you the average of voltages - which is half the sum, when there are two voltages. The only difference is 6dB in voltage level.

Thank you. So it would appear both methods are feasible? Which of two methods gives the better SNR and/or less THD?
Old 20th May 2016, 11:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Judging by the ultra-low values of the Rs in that schematic, its been designed to give the highest SNR measurement possible. However the consequent loading on the DAC chip's opamps suggests SQ (dynamics in particular) is going to suffer rather badly.

Do you want to listen to this DAC or get the best possible measurements?
Old 20th May 2016, 11:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Judging by the ultra-low values of the Rs in that schematic, its been designed to give the highest SNR measurement possible. However the consequent loading on the DAC chip's opamps suggests SQ (dynamics in particular) is going to suffer rather badly.

Do you want to listen to this DAC or get the best possible measurements?
So it is actually a AK4490 Dual Mono DAC and the actual LPF circuit is as per the attachment. I am just using the principles of the AK4497 schematic. The first resistor is 660 Ohms (double what is shown to compensate for the two DAC channels connected in parallel). It sounds very good but I wonder whether I am getting the best results with this configuration and whether I might get better results with a series connection?
Instinctively the series connection should provide better SNR?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK4490 LPF Wiring.JPG (67.2 KB, 250 views)
Old 21st May 2016, 09:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok so to wire the circuit in series, would I need to soft invert the output of one of the channels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd May 2016, 07:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So this is the Cirrus way, see page 25 of the WM8740 Datasheet. Completely different but I suspect better.
https://www.cirrus.com/cn/pubs/proDa...M8740_v4.4.pdf

Old 23rd May 2016, 11:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themystical View Post
So this is the Cirrus way, see page 25 of the WM8740 Datasheet. Completely different but I suspect better.
https://www.cirrus.com/cn/pubs/proDa...M8740_v4.4.pdf

What board are you using to play with the AK4497?
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Don't believe boards for the AK4497 are available yet awaiting the chip to go into mass production in summer?
I am playing with the DiyinHK AK4490 boards.

Old 23rd May 2016, 12:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

How many boards are you using/planning to use for the dual mono balanced version, four?

Last edited by formatcd3; 23rd May 2016 at 12:15 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!