Building with the Soekris dam1121

So far I did some progress in regard of brining parts on the pcb ;-)
For some parts I am uncertain about the installation direction:
Farnell Nr. 1572146 and 1215508

I do need to solder 4 parts ( LM317TG, LM337BTG, D44H11, D45H11) which need a heat sink.
How do I connect these parts?
Do I need thermal paste?
And do I need some kind of isolation between the heat sink and the active parts?

an advice would be nice ;-)
Thank you

Joined 2004
Paid Member
For some parts I am uncertain about the installation direction:
These capacitors are unidirectional ones.

How do I connect these parts?
Use this kit with M3 screw and nut.
http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mk3306-s/insulating-kit-to-220/dp/522636
Heatsink has two rod. After the proper installation solder theses to the PCB.

Do I need thermal paste?
Yes, I use paste even with silicon.

And do I need some kind of isolation between the heat sink and the active parts?
Heatsink mostly grounded.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sören - a product version request..

Please make a DAM "1122" with I2S input. All/everything clock synchronous so that jitter and frame sync is totally dependent on the I2S lines. Some development I suppose but cheaper to manufacture. Everything else equal please. A fixed frequency, replaceable clock onboard is OK if necessary.

//

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sören - a product version request..

Please make a DAM "1122" with I2S input. All/everything clock synchronous so that jitter and frame sync is totally dependent on the I2S lines. Some development I suppose but cheaper to manufacture. Everything else equal please. A fixed frequency, replaceable clock onboard is OK if necessary.

//

What for ? Could just be new firmware for the dam1121, but I'm not doing new firmware unless there is a real need generating additional sales....

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Its about being able to distribute DAC boards locally inside speakers but still retain tight (really) synchronisation between L/R channels (even between hi/lo channels inside a speaker if your goal is extremely short analog path). The current solution is really good for traditional "DAC in a box" - I think it's great!

//

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Its about being able to distribute DAC boards locally inside speakers but still retain tight (really) synchronisation between L/R channels (even between hi/lo channels inside a speaker if your goal is extremely short analog path). The current solution is really good for traditional "DAC in a box" - I think it's great!

//

Ok, and how will you get the audio there, without introducing a lot of jitter ??

The current way with fifo will get the audio there without jitter, and each channel within a few uS, which I will consider tight, it's like moving one speaker a few mm....

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes. In the sense that from one central distribution point, all payload frames are synchronous.

Then wouldn't this class of problem be effectively the same as synchronizing time between computers? See NTP (network time protocol) and PTP (precision time protocol).

Obviously it's not the exact same, as this isn't an IP network. But some kind of encapsulation protocol would have to be created for the I2S signal, as by design it's not intended to span long distances.

But at least with computer networks, this is a fairly hard problem if you want sub-nanosecond synchronization.

I would like to build a DAC+ based on the "Soekris dam1121".
The audio signal will arrive via a galvanically isolated USB to I2S module.
An additional signal input is not required.
Then it goes through a DAM1121.
I want to use a DCG3 as output stage. This is used both as a headphone amplifier and as a preamplifier. The 17.5V power supply for this will be a SSR03.

Finally, the signal is sent to an analogue ABACUS crossover and output to three pairs of RCA jacks.
For DAC and USB board I want to use "DIYinHK 0.8uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 5V 1.5A*x2" power supplies.

For the DAM1121 is 2x (2x 5V) are required. Can I cover that with the two individual 5V rails per DIYinHK power supply unit?
The JLSound USB card requires 5V power supply before and after galvanic isolation. Do you use the 2 rails of a DIYinHK power supply or do you even need 2 independent power supplies?
There is a USBtoRSR232 card. I would like to use this as a fixed solution for the DAM1121 programming. This card can be supplied with 3.3V. For this purpose I would like to use a "DIYinHK 0.8uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3,3V 1.5A*x2" power supply.
To control the DAM1121 I would like to use an Audiozen "DAM 1021 SK lite" module.

Does this make sense?

You don't need that many power supplies, you don't gain anything by doing that....

The USB to I2S part can take 5V from the USB, the isolated side can use the same 5V used for the dam1121.

See figure 2 on page 4 of the JLsounds I2SoverUSb manual.

May I ask how would you distribute the
2x 5V analouge DAC
2x 5V digital DAC
2x 5V USB2I2S
1x 3,3V USB2RS232
requirements?
The DIYinHK PS have 2 rails ( as you probably know ;-) )

Joined 2009
Paid Member
May I ask how would you distribute the
2x 5V analouge DAC
2x 5V digital DAC
2x 5V USB2I2S
1x 3,3V USB2RS232
requirements?
The DIYinHK PS have 2 rails ( as you probably know ;-) )

I don't know DIYINHK power products, but it's pretty simple:

USB to I2S is powered by USB Power.

one +5V supply to USB isolated side, dam1121 +5V digital power (optional via LC filter) and +5V analog power.
one -5V supply to dam1121 -5V analog power. (or a galvanic isolate +5V supply).

USB to RS232 interface get its power from USB, sometime they have a 3.3V pin, but that is an output in case the serial side need it, not an input. dam1121 don't need it, unless you choose to add isolation on the serial port because the USB port is permanently connected to a computer....