Building with the Soekris dam1121

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like this one a lot. My build with 3 DIYinHK 5V 0,8uV and a LT1963-3.3 using Toslink sound very close to what I have searched for.

Its very stable - soundscape is carved in granite. Its mature as its lower midrange is not recessed. It is not limited to a certain height but expand upwards when appropriate. It has the resolution and refinement that I was lacking comparing my Rev 1 DAM to my ES9012/Lundahl build. Its very articulate - bass lines are easy to follow, so are accompanying instruments in orchestras like horns and cello. Choir was expanding in fortes as I have heard it in churches - very nice. It's micro and micro dynamics seem very real.

I have 2 of these and my plan is to build each one into a box with a set of Hypex SMPS600/nCore400, sitting very close to my speaker using maybe 30cm speaker cable. I will split my opto from my SB into 2 lines using a passive opto Y-splitter and use 5meter Toslink cable to feed each box. The 1121 will run in balanced mode as either L or R. Level control will be done over bluetooth. I will have to build something that can control each DAC in parallel - don't really know how right now. Maybe a script or someting HW based.

Exciting.

//

I like this one a lot. My build with 3 DIYinHK 5V 0,8uV and a LT1963-3.3 using Toslink sound very close to what I have searched for.

Its very stable - soundscape is carved in granite. Its mature as its lower midrange is not recessed. It is not limited to a certain height but expand upwards when appropriate. It has the resolution and refinement that I was lacking comparing my Rev 1 DAM to my ES9012/Lundahl build. Its very articulate - bass lines are easy to follow, so are accompanying instruments in orchestras like horns and cello. Choir was expanding in fortes as I have heard it in churches - very nice. It's micro and micro dynamics seem very real.

I have 2 of these and my plan is to build each one into a box with a set of Hypex SMPS600/nCore400, sitting very close to my speaker using maybe 30cm speaker cable. I will split my opto from my SB into 2 lines using a passive opto Y-splitter and use 5meter Toslink cable to feed each box. The 1121 will run in balanced mode as either L or R. Level control will be done over bluetooth. I will have to build something that can control each DAC in parallel - don't really know how right now. Maybe a script or someting HW based.

Exciting.

//

Exciting indeed. Could you elaborate on how dam1121 compares to dam1021 in your system. And if possible, details of dam1021 mods (I assume you did not mod your dam1121 yet). This would be a very useful info indeed as you are one of the first to get dam1121 singing.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If one board, 4 pulldown straps is needed, thats it. The schema is for when 2 boards is used in balanced config mode and you want your clocks synced. Yes you probably want that but how bad will it be without this - I will test this as I'm doing balanced un-syncked clocks.

//

Attachments

• daconf.jpg
    daconf.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 1,202
If one board, 4 pulldown straps is needed, thats it. The schema is for when 2 boards is used in balanced config mode and you want your clocks synced. Yes you probably want that but how bad will it be without this - I will test this as I'm doing balanced un-syncked clocks.

//

Just that power supplies and the interface board? is that sufficient to run the dam 1121?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, I used 3 Meanwell RS-15-15. No input board, just the in the manual advised circuit for Toslink reception.

BOM:
- 1pcs of DAM
- 3pc of Meanwell RS-15-15 (12V is probably better)
- 3 pcs of Diyinhk 0,8uv 5V regulators
- 1pc LT1961-3,3 fixed reg + 2 100uF, 25V ellyt. (feeding bluethoot and torx)
- 1pc TORX147L + 1pc 0,1 uF cap
- 1 pc of Bluetooth -> RSR232 (alt a DB9 connector)
- 4 pc of 3,3k ohm resistors
- Wire

This will make it play.

//

Last edited:
Yes, I used 3 Meanwell RS-15-15. No input board, just the in the manual advised circuit for Toslink reception.

BOM:
- 1pcs of DAM
- 3pc of Meanwell RS-15-15 (12V is probably better)
- 3 pcs of Diyinhk 0,8uv 5V regulators
- 1pc LT1961-3,3 fixed reg + 2 100uF, 25V ellyt. (feeding bluethoot and torx)
- 1pc TORX147L + 1pc 0,1 uF cap
- 1 pc of Bluetooth -> RSR232 (alt a DB9 connector)
- 4 pc of 3,3k ohm resistors
- Wire

This will make it play.

//

Looks quite straitforward indeed. Can you change polarity value through your bluetooth device in this configuration?