Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building with the Soekris dam1121
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2018, 05:37 PM   #381
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Dont waste a DiyinHK regulator on the dirty side.
More precisely -IMHO- use any type of regulator on the dirty side instead of USB. :-)
Old 7th February 2018, 05:47 PM   #382
spikestabber is offline spikestabber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another option is the Audiozen SK-lite kit, it supplies its own linear 5V+3.3V which is perfect for your ISO3.3V+USBtoI2S.
Old 7th February 2018, 05:53 PM   #383
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I use such type DiyInHK regulators powering my JLSounds boards.

I have several regulators (and several dual bobbin, two secondary 40VA transformers), so no "wasting" to powering even in the dirty side.

But...in the DiyInHK regulator's primary side -Murata- filter is the weakest point of this layout. After few hours it's about 50C degrees warm (this is the dirty side power). LT3042 chip (on the soldering side) is more than lukewarm, so I glued there little small aluminium heatsink.

40VA transformer is not overestimated, it's about 40C warm after few hour operation.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:28 AM   #384
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
What for ? Could just be new firmware for the dam1121, but I'm not doing new firmware unless there is a real need generating additional sales....
Hi Soren,

I think there is a real opportunity here, i.e., adding a simple firmware option to use external fixed frequency clock instead of the internal one.

There are quite many members here owning various clocks (NKD, Crystek, Pulsar, etc.) whom I am sure will be wanting to try them with the DAM using something like Ian's FIFO to synchronously drive everything. Together with the improved power supply in the DAM1121 you have a real winner right there.

If such a firmware option exists I for one will immediately buy a DAM1121-01.

Appreciate if you can consider it. If anything I certainly want to see/hear what different clocks sound like.

Thanks.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:46 AM   #385
wyan is offline wyan
diyAudio Member

I think DAM1121 has its on FIFO built in.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:21 AM   #386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyan View Post
I think DAM1121 has its on FIFO built in.
True. This is because the DAM and the I2S source run their own clocks and the FIFO is to absorb the clock differences as the DAM adapts its clock rate according to the I2S source.

Ian's FIFO/Clock board has clock fanout to drive multiple boards. Thus the ideal setup is to use the clocks there and then drive all other boards using the same clock in a synchronous manner. This way FIFOs are no longer needed.
Old 9th February 2018, 02:26 PM   #387
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post
Hi Soren,

I think there is a real opportunity here, i.e., adding a simple firmware option to use external fixed frequency clock instead of the internal one.

There are quite many members here owning various clocks (NKD, Crystek, Pulsar, etc.) whom I am sure will be wanting to try them with the DAM using something like Ian's FIFO to synchronously drive everything. Together with the improved power supply in the DAM1121 you have a real winner right there.

If such a firmware option exists I for one will immediately buy a DAM1121-01.

Appreciate if you can consider it. If anything I certainly want to see/hear what different clocks sound like.

Thanks.
That would probably be pretty easy, the dam1121 already support an external Si570, checking for its presence, could probably just add an option to bypass the audodetect.... Although I consider the Si570 more than good enough, but people here like to experiment :-)
Old 9th February 2018, 07:36 PM   #388
opp is offline opp  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I'm trying to get a grip on this issue, it's important to me as I'm going to implement at 3-ways system with 3*dam.

Don't we need to see word clock and system clock as two different things?

- it's important that there is very little jitter just befor the DA conversion takes place, this require very good clocks and jitter handling - hence the FIFO
- frequency drift/jitter (words clock drift) between channels, most important in digital x-over seniors.

In my set-up, I will use a nanoDIGI as x-over delivering 3*SPDIF to 3*DAM, I expect no frequency drift/"word jitter" between channels - should I?

Would it be an advantage to use one board clock as system clock master and the two other DAC clocks configured as slaves?

Søren any thoughts?
Old 10th February 2018, 01:45 AM   #389
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
That would probably be pretty easy, the dam1121 already support an external Si570, checking for its presence, could probably just add an option to bypass the audodetect.... Although I consider the Si570 more than good enough, but people here like to experiment :-)
That's great! I look forward to the firmware revision.
Old 10th February 2018, 05:42 AM   #390
hellokitty123 is offline hellokitty123  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for asking such a dull question but how does this dac compare to a staple such as the Schiit Yggdrasil? I'm looking around for DIY options.

Building with the Soekris dam1121Hide this!Advertise here!