Modifying a TDA1549-based CDP to act as a DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2016, 11:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Modifying a TDA1549-based CDP to act as a DAC

The Philips CD753/Marantz CD5000 CD players do not have any digital inputs, only a CD drive but are excellent-sounding units so as stated in the title, would it be possible to mod them to serve as DACs?

Datasheet: https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/d...number=TDA1549
Old 18th April 2016, 10:25 PM   #2
3dNow is offline 3dNow  France
diyAudio Member

Just buy a little spdif to i2s board like this and give it a try , it's cheap and it can always be usefull if you want to play with other philips cd players or just tda dac :

AK4113 Digital Receiver Board Spdif TO I2S Converter Softwear Control LCD | eBay

If after trying I2S, left justifying, Right justifying 16bit and Right justifying 24bit it does not work it will necessitate some logic to convert the i2s signal to be fully recognised by the dac (but this requires far too much abilities for me)
Old 18th April 2016, 11:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Bit more information. The TDA1549 has EIAJ input (standard Japanese input format) which is slightly different to I2S.

Here's the difference:
Click the image to open in full size.

Any idea which chip would allow me to directly convert USB or S/PDIF to EIAJ or would I have to go USB or S/PDIF > I2S > EIAJ > TDA1549? Either way, appears that it would require some logic to get it working.

Last edited by BucketInABucket; 18th April 2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 19th April 2016, 02:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
The Cirrus Logic receiver chips have a mode which supports EIAJ.
Old 19th April 2016, 09:46 AM   #5
3dNow is offline 3dNow  France
diyAudio Member

Oh my, i completely forget about thoses cirrus logic chips like CS8414 or CS8406 that are EIAJ complient that you can find on a SOIC28 to DIP28 board on ebay

It was part of a project i never finished where the goal was to get digital out from a GUS Max sound card for maximum quality recordings (it was like 3 or 4 years ago btw)

It was definatly too expensive for my taste at that time
Old 19th April 2016, 10:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Any of you know if there are any ready-made solutions or would I have to design my own solution? The latter is wayyyy out of my depth; as I'm still in high school, I don't know much apart from the baseline electrical stuff so I'd need a decent bit of help heh.

Last edited by BucketInABucket; 19th April 2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 19th April 2016, 01:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Order up one of these boards from eBay, should be able to do the trick. There are a couple of jumpers on the PCB to set the required format : New Assembly DIR9001 DAC Fiber Coax Receiver Board 24Bit --- 96kHz sampling rate
Old 19th April 2016, 04:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do I just change the jumpers until it works?
Old 19th April 2016, 04:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Pass the popcorn. Here comes another diyAudio slow-motion train wreck.
Old 19th April 2016, 04:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this sort of stuff I admit it

Hide this!Advertise here!