Low cost DAC with Optical input based on PCM2902 for connecting smart TV?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Some time ago I have build a PCM2902 based sound card. The chip itself has Digital IN, Digital OUT, Stereo ADC & DAC outputs. Mostly I was using it as a sound card for a laptop.

Now I am looking for a cheap solution to have a possibility of connecting my TV to an amplifier. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my TV has an optical output as well as possibility to connect headset. I am looking at my soundcard as a first step to make it happen:
- I have connected TOSLINK receiver TORX173 to the digital input of PCM2902 and then DAC output to an amplifier. I power my card from USB. Unfortunately it doesn't work :(

I have checked TORX173 output levels with a scope. It provides something like 2.5V ("High" level). Power supply for TORX is 4.6V.

So now I have doubts:
- I am trying to use PCM2902 not according to specs, e.g. I cannot use it as a DAC with optical input (IMHO it should be possible)
- something wrong with TORX179 - too low levels, too low supply voltage, etc
- maybe PCM2902 Digital IN doesn't support bit rates provided from my TV (Samsung UA55JU7002)

Any live experience or good advises where to start from?

Big thanks in advance

Rolandas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.