DSD and PCM - your experience - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2016, 01:14 AM   #1
mirekti is offline mirekti  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DSD and PCM - your experience

I've read a lot of articles on DSD vs PCM and ended up being kind of confused.

What is your preference and why, please?

I, for example, have downloaded two samples from https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx and tried to compare HD track with DSD track. For some reason DSD track sounded somewhat more "natural".
Am I imagining this?
I am aware both were eventually PCM as I used Foobar and my external DAC, however, I am still rather confused with the end results.
Old 28th March 2016, 02:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
My experience hasn't been with DSD DACs directly, rather with DSD recorded material played back on a multibit PCM DAC from CD. It seems a fairly consistent signature that DSD sounds 'soft' - I take it its adding noise modulation at higher frequencies.

If you're using an S-D DAC (rather than multibit) chances are DSD sounds better than PCM. A reason could be in using DSD you're bypassing the under-engineered digital filtering on the DAC chip itself by going in with DSD.
Old 28th March 2016, 02:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have made comparisons about a dozen times, some very controlled, and I have never found DSD to sound better than PCM 24/96, for the same material recorded simultaneously on 2 machines. The best I have found is that DSD can sometimes sound as good as high res 24/96 PCM.

Of course, conversion between the two formats may be fraught with potential errors.

Lipshitz wrote an excellent article on it for the AES titled "Why 1-Bit Sigma-Delta Conversion is Unsuitable for High-Quality Applications" I just found it here - http://sjeng.org/ftp/SACD.pdf
Old 28th March 2016, 02:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
+1 for the Lipshitz paper - which tends to scare the DSD koolaid drinkers. Lipshitz highlights that its impossible to correctly dither a 1bit converter - the result of incorrect dither being noise modulation.

Hide this!Advertise here!