I2S RJ45 cable type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have LKS audio mh-da003 DAC and decided to connect a second PC to it. I bought XMOS U8 device from aliexpress that supports (DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (2.822, 3.072, 5.644, 6.144, 11.2896 and 12.288MHz)).

I'm connecting XMOS U8 to DAC via I2S ethernet socket using a standard off the shelf Cat5 network cable. When I play music from foobar in DSD256 I hear a lot of noise.

A question, can I use unmodified Cat 5e network cable for this connection ? Or do I need to re-wire it according to I2S spec of XMOS/DAC ?

ps.

XMOS that I have is
Upgraded version XMOS U8 + TCXO 0.1PPM USB Digital Interface 32Bit / 384K Support DSD PCM I2S AES EBU Coaxial Optical Output -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Sorry for a newbie question.

Last edited:
If DF96 is not an expert, few can help you....

The fragile I2S signal is not designed to be transported on long distance (more than few cm into a device) as writted.

Some thoughts :

- cheap ALLI is not a guaranty of good designs, better to look at this : http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/teleporter.aspx ; https://www.minidsp.com/products/network-audio

But it will be always with a waste of the signal... if transported in I2S protocol on long distance (If I understound the general idea of the concept)

I2S signal should be transported with the same impedance between source and destination as it's a fragile signal. Most of the time this is the 50 ohms of the pcb (DF96 will correct me if I'm wrong with all these inputs) impedance with dac pcbs. Cat5e is 100 ohms impedance if I remember, you can always try it on few cm (less than 10 cm), but better result will be comming from 50 ohms interconnexion. Sometimes the rest of the dac or whole hifi can not be good enough in this context for you to hear a difference !

But if noise, you simply buy a crap device.

But being not an expert into the clan of "non-experts", I don't know if it that can helps :scratch1: !

Last edited:
Thanks! That's what I thought. I studied pin layout of DAC and XMOS interface and they are a bit different. On one pin DAC expects DSD/PCM signal switch, which XMOS doesn't provide.

Looks like I will have to use other type of cabling

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.