Dual Mono DAC AK4490/AK4497

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@themystical

Thanks for the photo

From the picture, I noticed that you only connected 4 wires to the i2s signal, but it seems to me that this card has no clock, in fact the ak4118 input card has the clock, you should also link the clock signal connection.

The only pin I have not connected to is the DSD pin because I don't have DSD music or files to play so I don't think that is the issue but thanks for your input.

Here is my board photo.
I found this board is very finicky about power up and connection. Even with the xmos board, I have to 1. Detach usb cable, 2. Power up 15v , 3. Power up the a.c. connector, 4. Reconnect sub cable

Note that my jumper 6,7,8 is constantly set to dsd, but it still works with usb feed from ras pi3 using moode

Attachments

• 1506421033868310313935.jpg
    1506421033868310313935.jpg
    744.6 KB · Views: 1,118
Last edited:
I also got my Amanero board working for the ak4497. I am not sure why it works this time, could be just the incorrect power up/ connecting sequence.
I think my Xmos xu208 board is a bit better sounding being a bit less digital when compare to the Amanero board, but its also twice the price so it could be due to just better parts.

I also got my Amanero board working for the ak4497. I am not sure why it works this time, could be just the incorrect power up/ connecting sequence.
I think my Xmos xu208 board is a bit better sounding being a bit less digital when compare to the Amanero board, but its also twice the price so it could be due to just better parts.

The board itself could not sound different at all. Because it's digital. It's just a matter of jitter.
Less digital signal transformation (and modules between) --->> less jitter, = better subjective "sound quality"

Probably a better power supply implementation on the Xmos board, I’m guessing.

Maybe, but the Xmos is the 2nd gen xu208 with 8 core which is more powerful than Amanero. I think the crystal on my xmos is also little better too and that definitely can make a difference.

Btw, I found the ak4497 filter setting does make a tiny bit difference and found the newer Low dispersion Short delay a bit more natural.

Here is my board photo.
I found this board is very finicky about power up and connection. Even with the xmos board, I have to 1. Detach usb cable, 2. Power up 15v , 3. Power up the a.c. connector, 4. Reconnect sub cable

Note that my jumper 6,7,8 is constantly set to dsd, but it still works with usb feed from ras pi3 using moode

I managed to get sound of the board with the Amanero using your sequence thanks very much. Its all a bit finicky tbh and the SQ using the whole board as designed including the opamps in the output stage is a step below my dual mono AK4490 set-up using DIYinHK boards.

What caps are you using on the dual mono ak4490 diynhk boards?

The DIYinHK boards use the Panasonic FR series that come with the board as part of the kit. Nothing more fancy. I have yet to hear any audible difference in sound using different makes of capacitors in the power circuits of any piece of audio equipment tbh.
However, There is a big jump in SQ going from 5V to around 7V on the AK4490 boards as I have posted in this thread before.

Install another 3.3v reg and supply separately VDIG and VAN 3.3v supply. Desolder ferrite choke. Because dig line is very noisy on scope and noise goes into analog supply line.Use low esr cap 47-100uf on VD 3.3V
Instal 100uh choke between Tps7a4700 and dac on +5v. That should relaxed sharp sound...

First of all, I want to thank you Androa. The mods that you posted really helped.
I have dual AK4490 + AK4118 board, no USB card. No filters selection - at least I couldn't figure out how to do it (without re-writing the firmware of MCU, which is sm8952ac25pp).
There are 2 x LT1963-3.3 -> one is used for DAC's (DVDD + AVDD) + Ak4118 and the second one was supposedly used for USB - so doing nothing since there is no USB.
I decided to use the second LT1963-3.3 for AVDD - both AK4490 and AK4118.
So I de-soldered the ferrite on AVDD for AK4490 and put a 100uH choke, with 22uF before (from LT1963 regulator) and 100uF Nichicon FG after it (to AK4490). Splitting the 3.3V supply but without the choke (with original ferrite) leaded to some kind of sharp/edge sound. Most obvious on voices, which became a bit harsh. Adding the choke had some "calm" effect, much better.
Also AK4118 has separate DVDD and AVDD pins which obviously are connected together - so i cut the trace to AVDD and routed it with AVDD from AK4490's to the second LT1963. More relaxed sound and clearly better 3D soundstage. Added also an 100uH choke on AVDD here, 10uF before (from regulator) and 220uF Nichicon FG after the choke. Increasing the cap size after the choke (the FG) to 220uF leaded to an increase in soundstage/"air".
Also on AK4490 DAC's the VCOML and VCOMR caps size had some influence - with 47uF there seems to be more "weight" to the sound, maybe a little increase in the mid-bass region that explain this effect. With 10uF is more "tiny" sounding. So a 22uF could be tried (not done yet).
Hope this helps DIY'ers around.

Tibi

Noob question.... Ready to buy my first diy dac. At Diyinhk.com

Can someone explain why the Diyinhk board with ak4497 chip is 110 dollar expensive? Than a board without dac chip?

Those no dac chip boards are delivered with through hole components right?

Otherwise crazy price difference.

Changing hardware mode to software mode on dual AK4497 dac possible?

Hello,

I have bought my second AK4497 dac from China.
The fist one was a single version, with software mode and the posibility of the 6 digital filters.

The second one i am using now, is a dual AK4497 version in hardware mode.
There is no option for the digital filters on this unit.
I know settings can be changed on the chip.

Is it possible to change this in some way? Can i buy a usb to i2c adapter and use a virtual com port on the pc?
Can i change the needed settings on the chip? Is that even possible or should the board layout also be changed?

Toni

Last edited:
There are some options in hardware mode, search for eBay dac with ak4495 and there are some settings shown in that thread. Is a matter of selecting which pins are either pulled up to dvdd or to ground.
However, the consensus was that there was little difference between the various settings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.