Dual Mono DAC AK4490/AK4497

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, thanks for your answers.
Mine is so bright that i really can't use it. I have a hegel h80 amp. Maybe i will try it with my el34 tube amp.
Anyway, i built it without mods. I did try OPA2134 and LME49720, both are way to bright, but the later OP are a little bit better.
Well, i did use 6.8v where it say 5v. Maybe i will try a simpel lm317 set to 5v and try.
Best Regards //Daniel

Can you post picture of your dac implemetation. It will be easy to help you.
No i2s resistors, i measured diyinhk and show less overshoot with 33..47r resistors.
Analogue output is not what i like...measure noise on opamp input. If it is present i will give one smd COG 1000-2200pf across both 152 resistors. I have discovered that more relaxed sound comes when as less as possible dac noise comes into opamp.
For me lme49720, HA is little better but is also to bright...i choose lme49990 or ada4898 or opa627. Last one is a little darker and less transparent. I also tried Muse 02 but nothing special.
Choose KZ nichicon on analoge 12V lines. Little darker sounded than silmic 2.
No panasonic FR or FM on analogue supply...it gives speed but emotions are gone. I use Kubota regulator or shunt from daco group buy. You can use Mravlca tps7a4700 new version.
Try to connect 5v battery to usb supply ...be carefull to not connect it to 3,3v.

Last edited:
Guy's, just finished assembly Diyinhk Ak4490, did a bit of mods, will use 2* 3.3v and 2*5v. Have Amanero usb and wo uld like to connect ak4490 to it to play dsd and configure AK board for software control. Any idea how to connect those 2 to be able to configure i2c with amanero ?
aaaf6fef0c104e9dc5ead91c2fb6fa5b.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Guy's, just finished assembly Diyinhk Ak4490, did a bit of mods, will use 2* 3.3v and 2*5v. Have Amanero usb and wo uld like to connect ak4490 to it to play dsd and configure AK board for software control. Any idea how to connect those 2 to be able to configure i2c with amanero ?
aaaf6fef0c104e9dc5ead91c2fb6fa5b.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Writing to the Registers from the Amanero is straight forward. You just to have to input DAC address, Register and Value using the tool from Amanero. The Amanero is however very limited as a serial controller. You can only write, there is no facility for input so I am not sure how you automatically change the registers upon detecting DSD from the pin available from the Amanero.
The second issue is that to get sound out of the analogue outputs, you first have to reset the DAC from Register 0 and there doesn't appear to be a facility for applying a delay before you write the correct setting for this register.
Far easier to buy an Arduino Uno for around £5 and you will have the full serial control features available in the coding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good idea would be to use circuitmaker for sharing a quite simple PCB (including regs) with a BOM, and then everyone could add AC-DC, inputs and outputs stages as needed, no?
A real flexible group-project, not another "vendor's bazaar" business...

I don't have skills required ;)
The next 4497 seems to be less DIY-friendly, so 4490 with 7,2V in mono would do the job as well!

Hi all.

Here is a Picture of my setup.
I haven't done anything with it during the weekend. So the problem remains, way to Bright sound.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Best regards //Daniel
Hi Daniel , no expert here but I would move the usb board so that you can get the I2S cables as short as possible. I would also work on a better layout for the power cables as you appear to have them crossing over the output cables quite a bit.
Good luck.

You have some mods that can be done. -+12v lines. No FR!! Cap. Replace with Kz 47-100uf. Near ak4490 unsolder one FR and replace it in 3.3v digital position. Gold capacitor must go near AK so on both VA L.R should be same FG cap. At dig supply is better black Fr than Fine gold. You have used just half of regulator for 3.3v position. Install another 3.3v reg and supply separately VDIG and VAN 3.3v supply. Desolder ferrite choke. Because dig line is very noisy on scope and noise goes into analog supply line.Use low esr cap 47-100uf on VD 3.3V as i described earlier...FR or os-con
Instal 100uh choke between Tps7a4700 and dac on +5v. That should relaxed sharp sound...
Replace opamp. enough for beginning.
Yes you could instal xmos dirrectly on dac with no wires.
Move xmos away from transformer to another side. And dac also. Move -+12v reg to another side near transformer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.