CSR8645 Bluetooth 4.0 AAC APT-X Module / Baseboard

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This ROM version has encrypted aptx keys included. If you try to update the ROM I'm sure the keys are gone.
On MM05 they are related to firmware version and BT address.

But you need a device that is capable of streaming aptx, for example IOS does not support aptx.

Last edited:
On wt32(i), per default there is no licence included.
On iwrap 5.0 there was a demo licence (approximately 5min playback).

You have to contact CSR for apt-x licence keys or Via for AAC.
But Via does only support large volume licensee. CSR has a better support, but there is also no end-user support.

If you like to do something with apt-x or AAC i recommend to buy a ready to use modul from china with enabled algorithms.

"CSR has a better support" ..You kidding?
I asked about help with 8645, 8670, no response..
I got only information:
This is no our product...(get lost..)..
CSR and Bluegiga connected together and no support for end user.
WT32 has better support, quick response for e.g licence key after upgrade Iwrap from 3.0 to 5, about CSR..for me, they do not want help.

I do not know, how contact with SCR do You have, I was ignore.

Excuse me, whats wrong with you ...
If you have a problem, contact the one who build your board, this is for sure not CSR.
CSR DO NOT HAVE ENDUSER SUPPORT, and they do not sell anything to endusers.

I had never a problem with the support. CSR also gave me a mobile phone number to contact them if there is a problem with high priority.
Also the german distributor for Bluegiga was very helpful. But if you contact them with a gmail address for example, I'm sure this will end up in trash.

Sorry, if you are offended, but i have different point of view.
I have account of scr forum, fact, I not bought this module directly from csr, but any question about 8645 ended the same statement, this is not our product.
But i asked about chip, no module..module is it only different pcb.

If You have some contact, could you ask about digital line output on this chip?

I did not mean offend anybody, it's just my opinion about the support.
Contact the manufacturer of this module in China is rather impossible, I tried

The problem, you have to get in contact with the ROM developer.
CSR can't help you, because the ROM is not a CSR product.

iWrap is a Bluegiga software running on Bluegiga designed hardware, so they can give you support.
It is like smartphones, you have to contact for example samsung and not google if you have a software related problem.

If you like to have access to the source, you have to become a Bluetooth SIG member.
For sure, you will have to pay for this access.

You can take a look into the SIG database, there you can check out who listed your device. If you can give me a HW name, i can try to find out.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Depends on what you want. The CSR8645 is a bluetooth module that *can* use (depends on the ROM) the Apt-X codec which is excellent quality. I've seen ads claiming 'CD-quality' but that is entirely subjective. The worst is those that confuse standard Apt-X to 'lossless Apt-X'. Bluetooth only uses either stock Apt-X or the low latency version, both are lossy.

Also, being a wireless system, whilst it can mask errors, it cannot eliminate them so there will be errors, and drop-outs at the limits of range/interference. With that said, I'm pleasantly surprised by these devices, plugged into a reasonable Bose system, at high volume, with my phone 8 metres away, I didn't hear any hiss or artifacts - so its fine for just listening.

USB audio has its own issues, that may or may not be a problem, depending on what you want. If you want 'the absolute best quality' and have very expensive gear (which means you can afford other expensive gear, and don't want to have a weak link in the chain' then perhaps something other than bluetooth or USB audio.

Again, the USB DAC's I've heard, including the low end single chip solutions (C_media) sound excellent to me. They are isynchronous, with some high end being asynchronous, so the former will always have some form of jitter. Again though, its subjective, just because it isn't 'perfect' doesn't mean to say you can hear it.

I haven't tried its USB to audio capability yet, it bluescreened my PC when I plugged it in, but that was most likely me screwing around with the pskeys :)

Note the PCM1704 isn't a USB DAC, just a high-end DAC. So the quality will be determined by the USB device chip, output buffers, layout etc.. You can't compare that with the CSR8645 - they do different things.

Thanks for the answer. I will use both, in my project.
Áëîê óïðàâëåíèÿ ïîä NEXUS7. (all in 1) - PCCar.ru - Âàø àâòîìîáèëüíûé êîìïüþòåð

Yeah I used a 10k resistor to connect my 3.3v to the PCM pin. When I connect power I get the red status led to blink briefly but then it stops. I have heard that some modules by default will turn off after a few seconds if a battery isn't connected, so I may try to connect a battery.

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, but if I can get this to work I would be even more interested in these boards doctormord has created!

Could anybody provide pictures of their setup with the FT232 chip? I'm still having problems getting a response from my chips. I ran a 10k resistor from my 3.3v power source but still don't get anything. I also have tried to connect as a USB soundcard using this layout: File:Exbt reference circuit 01.png - ElectroDragon

Still no luck. I'm not going to give up though, haha.

If you have that exact module, with the carrier board - the board has a small POR circuit, that pulls the 'PWR_EN' line high a few ms after applying power. Its actually just a 10k pull up (to VBATT) with an NPN thats turned on for about 5ms, then released. This means you can add a button from PWR_EN, to GND and turn the module on/off with a single press.

It iwll power on when first plugged in, but the power off looks for a rising edge on PWR_EN, that means pressing the button doesn't do it, but then releasing it does.

My setup is messy.. I decided to use stripboard as a cheapo test board with an FT232 carrier, some buttons, and power supply decoupling.

I haven't got the USB running yet, but the first thing you should do is get the FT232 connected to it, as per this: https://github.com/lorf/csr-spi-ftdi/blob/master/hardware/csr-spi-ftdi.png

Use the '1V8' from the module to the VCCIO on the ft232, so its IO pins are 1.8V levels. 3.3V to VBATT, and 'SPIEN' pulled high - a 10k resistor to either 1.8V or VBATT. That pin isn't tolerant to 3.3V but with a 10k resistor it won't matter.

Follow the instructions on the FTDI-CSR page to configure your FT232 for use with CSR tools. Otherwise it's just picked up as a standard USB-serial bridge. The instructions should be followed to the letter:
https://github.com/lorf/csr-spi-ftdi

Lastly, do NOT use the headset configuration utility. It is ok for reading from the device (open from device, you should see your FT232 dongle there), but never write to the module with it. Also it only reads a few keys. You want to backup everything on that module using PStools.

Hopefully PStools will pick up your FT232 device, then file - dump, and let it read all the keys (might take a few minutes). Back this up because you'll need it if you mess with the PSkeys.

hello buriedcode
u wrote:

"It will power on when first plugged in, but the power off looks for a rising edge on PWR_EN, that means pressing the button doesn't do it, but then releasing it does."

Do you mean, that when I have connected BAT and POW-EN permanently, and i turn on power, module could not start?
I should wait some time and then POW-EN pull up ?
Sometimes my module not start like you wrote..

hello buriedcode

Do you mean, that when I have connected BAT and POW-EN permanently, and i turn on power, module could not start?
I should wait some time and then POW-EN pull up ?
Sometimes my module not start like you wrote..

Yes, the PWR_EN, if it isn't being used as an 'on/off/multifunction button' as is the case with the modules I have, you need to assert it,a few ms after you apply power to VBATT. You could do this with a cap and resistor, but a better approach is to use a transistor - on this page:

EXBT - ElectroDragon

In the datasheet PWR_EN is actually VREG_EN - to enable the onboard regulators.

The stock module I have requires PWR_EN to be permanently high to run (with a delayed start up), but the other module, for which I have modified the PSkeys (with the help of doctormord) allows one to turn off the module by pulling PWR_EN low.

I am not entire sure whether it powers up on rising or falling edge, and the same for power down.. but with a button connected to GND, pressing it powers it down, and pressing again powers it up. This tells me that the firmware (ROM) that is permanent in these, allows one to configure the power up/down using PSkeys.

I am currently narrowing down which PSkeys control this, as I would like to make a very small 'clip' for use with earphones, and so, would like a power button.

The stock module I have now works with USB - it enumerates fine, and appears as a playback/recording device (headset) and charges the lithium battery. The one with modifed PSkeys is not recognised at all.