freeDSP main thread

What would you recommend? We're always open to suggestions :)

Maybe a link on each project to the relevant discussion. Or maybe a page for each project with links to each related site. The table is a teaser, but the information then requires some searching. For example, when there are no "KiCad" or project links to a github repository... Where is any of the details on said project? Some of the projects say "help wanted"... Where do we go to find out the status of that project? How can we help?

Again please accept my criticism with full respect for your AMAZING WORK! :)

I'm into the research of trying to figure out how to make a USB Soundcard, with a built in DSP. So the idea is to have USB OTG (slave device) connected to a PC, playing audio through USB Audio, into the DSP, processed, and then outputted through to the DAC.

I think maybe the Pi Zero and the PiDSP can be the base hardware for this project. The Pi Zero can be set to USB OTG mode (link). The PiDSP can connect to the Pi Zero 40 pin header. The PiDSP Getting Started Tutorial says, "I2S input and output" can be accessed via the header (with or without Master Clock). And so the next question is how to turn the Pi Zero into a USB Soundcard Device inside of Linux, and then send the USB Audio to the I2S of the Pi Header through to the DSP.

The name of what I'm trying to do is called "G_audio" using the linux gadget functionality. Turning the PiZero into a USB Gadget g_audio.

Last edited:
Hi!

I ordered some FreeDSP PCBs from china and got a lot of them left over.
I would give them away for rounded up shipping costs, doesn't matter if you want 1, 2 or 5. Would be a shame to just throw them away.

Available PCBs are:
- CLASSIC SMD A
- UNBAL OUT x8
- UNBAL IN x8

Just send me a message.

Regards
Ich habe ein paar FreeDSP Platinen in Fernost machen lassen und habe nun einige Platinen übrig. Diese würde ich gegen aufgerundetes Porto abgeben. Wäre schade, wenn ich sie wegschmeißen müsste, für so viele Platinen habe ich einfach keine Verwendung. Aber Einzelstücke machen lassen ist ja leider teurer als gleich 10 Stück zu nehmen.

Verfügbar wären:
- CLASSIC SMD A
- UNBAL OUT x8
- UNBAL IN x8

Bei Interesse einfach eine kurze Nachricht schreiben.

Gruß

Hi!
So I'm currently soldering one of my CLASSIC SMD A Boards, everything seems to be fine so far.
But which audiojack connectors are used in this project (they are also used in the UNBAL IN x8 and UNBAL OUT x8 projects)?
The footprint says "alexmod:JIS_C_6560_3.5" but which part is it? Where do I get it?
There also seems to be no information about the opamps, could anybody tell me which ones to use for the UNBAL OUT x8 and FreeDSP CLASSIC SMD A?

At the FreeDSP homepage the projects are marked as "READY" or "TESTED", so someone already should have build them, right?

Best regards from germany!

Hi,

I have some questions about the freedsp classic smd b and its expansion ports:
Can the AES/Spdif input expansion, which is designed for freedsp classic, also be used with the classic smd b version?
I know that the freedsp classic smd b provides 12V power supply and the expansion board needs 3.3V. But I think a dc/dc converter could solve this problem.
Aside from that, would the AES/Spdif input board work if one connect the corresponding bclk, lrclk, mclk and the data line of freedsp and the AES/Spdif input board?
I would be glad about any help.

best regards
Alex

I had a look at the manual (https://d3uzseaevmutz1.cloudfront.net/pubs/proDatasheet/CS8422_F2.pdf) of the Cirrus Logic CS8422, which is used at the SPDIF input board. At the board the MS_SEL pin of the CS8422 is connected to GND by means of a 32.4kohm (R8) resistor. According to the manual the CS8422 is the running in master mode (table on page 42) at sdout1 output. If the board is used in combination with the freedsp smd b, it should probably run in slave mode? Should R8 be changed to e.g. 127kohm in order to run the CS8422 in slave mode?

Best regards

freeDSP CLASSIC SMD PCBS

Hi All, New to the free DSP project but it looks great. I have been playing with DIY hifi for years and am just having a dable with Speaker EQ and DSP. I have a pair of Linkwitz pluto and LXminis.

Is any one running the freeDSP CLASSIC SMD ? Does any one have any bare pcb`s available? If not i was thinking of getting a small batch of PCBS`s run if any one is interested?

Has it been run and tested any issues? any input greatly received.

Many thanks

Ben.

Hey,

I have a problem: whenever I put some VU-Meters in the signal path and watch them live over the USB-connection after some minutes or even seconds the whole USB-connection seems to hang up. SigmaStudio then doesn't respond to any action like "Link Compile Download", "Link Compile Connect" or so. The USB-sign in the USB interface Box in the "Hardware Configuration" Tab is then showing a red background which means that the interface is somehow not connected. The only way to get it to work again is unplug the programmer, plug it back in and then reconnect manually.

I've faced this error with two different computers and different versions of SigmaStudio. Is this maybe a problem with my freeUSBi Adaptor? :(

Hello,

today some great news: We have a new member of the freeDSP familiy: freeDSP-aurora with 8 inputs and 8 outputs, USB Audio Class 2, S/P-DIF io, ADAT io and wireless control via Wifi and Bluetooth.
Please check out the GettingStarted document on freeDSP | An Open-Source Low-Budget Audio DSP to learn more about the features.
And even more exciting, freeDSP-aurora is now on kickstarter. Support the project and get your own empty PCB, or full working DSP module, or donate ready-to-run modules to a school or university of your choice. Hopefully, the kickstarter campaign will help you to get your own freeDSP without the pain of soldering all the SMDs yourself. instead you can get a ready-to-run solution for your next DIY project in your hands.

Raphael

We have a new member of the freeDSP familiy: freeDSP-aurora with 8 inputs and 8 outputs, USB Audio Class 2, S/P-DIF io, ADAT io and wireless control via Wifi and Bluetooth.

Congratulations! This is a game changer. I just pledged. So where was this discussed? Where can I read the backlog of discussions? It's like all my dreams come true in one package, and it's completely out of the blue!

I see there is an application that controls the inputs. Great! One suggestion would be integration into some other open standards.

- MIDI - MIDI - Wikipedia
- Open Sound Control protocol - Open Sound Control - Wikipedia

This might make it easy to control this thing with custom panels created by things like this.

- Ctrlr - Ctrlr – Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)
- Open Sound Control - opensoundcontrol.org | an Enabling Encoding for Media Applications

I will be integrating some type of pre-amp with this device to plug in microphones on up to 4 channels. If anyone else is doing a similar task let me know and we'll work together on it. I can see it being a great accessory to this device (microphone preamp with digital gains maybe?). That's the ONE thing this device is missing (for my project). Something like the PCM1865 would have given this device even more possibilities with the integrated gain. I suppose adding one to this won't be too bad, however. :)

Jay