MSB Platinum Link

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

It is my new DAC it was a surprise for me at Christmas:
https://tjh0hg-bn1306.files.1drv.com/y3pYcoVHO7B8mSJXSK_7A8bnblIEFhE2oU6OIwnKfWIVdEJyx2-e7UkMm0ZuoiKKfpgX79rG7QbW0nN_dCUl1cPXS0d6XJCINmRorUDajJDtbgZRT0tTpxwEiC9DLotwHCxYuC5T_96bu1_ScfPhp2U1g/MSB%20Platinum%20Link%20big.JPG?psid=1
Don't say nothing, it will be a DIY product for me.
Even I can say it is a DIY product, as is, from that ages, when Gullman kids learns to solder. :)
It was sarcasm, I really didn't want to hurt them.
Larry rightly be proud of his sons.
But it is a fact, there was some nice cold soldering on the P1000 panel.
And there are some quite interesting solutions, I have questions about these.

It is my first question:
DC power output why taken from the legs of diodes?
You know me, I'm not an EE mind, maybe I missed something.
Second question:
Is it worth it to change all the electrolit capacitors, I think, it was made cc. 2000-2001.
There are 22 pieces 1000uF/25V JACKCON elko, and 7 pieces 6800uF/25V.
Third question,
Is it better to paralell secondaries of tranny as can be seen on pics, or it would be better to separate them?
If I'm right, there are two empty place for power connectors (J14 and J15) on DAC's mainboard, maybe I can using these.

Anyway, it is a quite good sounding device I think, and I do not want to make it worse.

Any advices are welcome, and happy holidays for Gulmanns!

Wacky Gyuri

There are pictures what I made:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E894CB7D50B65FBF!976&authkey=!9!rkr!r0TZw%24&ithint=folder%2cJPG

I hope so, this link will work even tomorrow.

I do not necessarily need to change the capacitors, I just thought, was once one of thousands of dollars worth of machine deserves something better quality.
I have reliable access Elna Silmic II only.
Anyway, I have some problems with this DAC, it seems to me 16x interpolation and brick wall filter doesn't work.
Scope pics will be follow.
Upsampling O.K., it can lock SPDIF signal even at 192KHz.

Gyuri

As I can see, Elna Silmics will not fit, either in diametre and height.

Which Panasonic FC can I use?
Is it worth to choose a larger one, say 1200uF or 1500uf instead of original 1000uF JACKCONs?

I would choose this one:

PANASONIC ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS EEUFC1E152 Electrolytic Capacitor, FC Series, 1500 µF, ± 20%, 25 V, 12.5 mm, Radial Leaded

Diameter is a little bit larger, it will be tight, but fit.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_00960001.JPG
    DSC_00960001.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 309
According to CS8420 datasheet, it works till 108 kHz sampling frequency.
According to DF1704 datasheet, it works till 96 kHz sampling frequency.
How it can be possible if this DAC works with 192 kHz sampling frequency?

You should try reading the users manual.
The MSB Platinum grants the user the ability to upsample from ANY lower audio standard to 24bit/130.2kHz (just under 3 times the CD rate). This is a selectable feature and may be turned off. To play a 24/192 disc the Platinum only needs an input option installed to be fully compatible.
If you read the DF1704 datasheet you will learn that the actual max sample rate is 156K. 96K is the closest standard rate. If TI put 156K in the title of the chip specs the marketing department would be forever answering people like you asking, "Are you guys stupid, or what? There are no recordings at 156K."

The input option for 192K probably includes a faster S/PDIF receiver and a DF1706.

As for USB, the MSB network appears to be based on I2S. Use any one of the USB-to-I2S converters and plug it into the MSB network along with the appropriate control signals. I leave it to you to figure out what that might be. I don't have an MSB DAC to examine.

Last edited:
Dear Tam Lin,

Thank you for your reply,
It would have been impolite way not to reply, even though now it really is not prioritized this project.
Priority for FirstWatt Sony VFET2.
I was read and can understand what you quoted from manual.
As I mentioned before, it can lock SPDIF signal even at 192kHz on SPDIF input.
It is not a stable state, and depends on the signal, what I connect to it.
Sound quality also not so good.
It is obviously because of limits of circuits.
However one of the manuals says, it is capable to play 192kHz source if MSB Network connector is present, and there are two. I think one of them is input, other one is uplink.
I haven't found explicitly that DF1704 capable to play till 156kHz.
May be it is between the lines, and I haven't discovered it, because I can't understand relationships.
Yes, I also wondering, how be possible to use MSB Network input with such an USB adapter.
Also I thinking of use of DF1706.
Perhaps I should build an another Digital Filter Board with it, similar to original.
It Gullmans more advanced version has been used for its own development, not DF1706.

Kind regards,
Gyuri

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.