Short Coax S/PDIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m putting a preassembled DAC board into a chassis that I’m making.

The board is DIR9001 and CS4398.

It’s only input is S/PDIF Coax (there’s no optical, hdmi or usb)

The PCB Mount RCA connecter was not included, so I sacrificed an old video cable that came free with another piece of equipment. I cut the yellow end off, and soldered it right to the board. (Picture attached) I also note there’s a 75ohm resistor already there right on the board.

When this gets assembled into its chassis, I’ll want to use a better cable, and connectors to provide flexibility if I ever need a different cable length.
My plan was to put a panel mount female BNC on the chassis, then use a short (1 or 3 inch) piece of coax inside the chassis between the board and the BNC. Then I came across something saying that short spdif coax cables were bad, because of reflections throwing off the clock or something?? I can’t find that article now.

Should I use a twisted pair of wires instead??

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 69
The shorter the connection the less harm it can do. For a very short connection the coax 'pigtails' can be longer than the cable, so no point in using coax. Just use a twisted pair - but make sure you know which is ground and which is signal! For longer internal connections use coax - quite thin flexible 75ohm coax is available.

There is no need to use 'better' cable. Decent video cable is fine. SPDIF is a relatively undemanding use of cable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.