Brand New DS AYA 2 2014

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a very versatil board, The DS edition has even more integration with the external demning clock schematic that Pedja firstly launched , but don't worry the external demning clock scheme of the 2014 DS edition is the same ... and as far I understand is near of the flag ship one : the Model S (CFT has the genuine one and can tell how it's sounds great)

I use mine with IanCanada devices thanks to all the Uf-l plugs Pedja Rogic added on the 2014 edition. So in my case I use the simultaning mode introduced by EC Designs instead the pure I2S way !

But one can make a full AYA 2 2014 at low cost just following the manual provided, it sounds great and analog according to me ! Not expansive, the board is 30 euros and now you can use Pay Pall !

For the one not having the TDA chip a more expansive already populated kit is sold with the equivalent S2 crown chip : Pedja provides iirc the Taiwan 1998 year TDA1541A which are sounding like the sorted out S2 & S1 crowns of the previous productions in the less good factories with less precise machines ! So great Deal too for the less skilled of us with soldering irons !

So each one can have a SOTA TDA1541 DAC at friendly price instead hasardous DIY designs... Layout is everything in a DAC ;)

Last edited:
Members asked me on PM....

Notice than you must have already a TDA1541A chip but in the populated kit where the chip is provided and equal to the S2 crown quality : Taiwan last productions from 1998 iirc).

AYA 2 has SPIDF coax input and USB

AYA 2 2014 has ufl-plugs to allow external stuffs if you prefer your own streaming devices : Wave I/O e.g., Iancanada devices, simultaneous mode instead I2S is embeded if you choose this option, also if you prefer an external clock : it's very versatil without quality loss about the Layout !

regards

As some asked to me about the mods I made on the AYA 2: I drop my last list here just once (please refer to the official building manual and shematic and Audial blog for mods and further discussions)

It’s very simple and give a good option to the stock BOM.

C3 : 1200 uF Panasonic FM + (in parralell) 300 uF Panasonic FC or 1500 uf Panasonic FC
C6/C7 : 1500 uF to 3000 uF Panasonic FC (try both value and keep the best sounding result on your system, I prefer 3000 uF)

C305/C308/C302 : unpopulated (see the comments in this thread above)
C303 : populated with the BOM value; but C306/C309 : unpopulated (great improvment on my system)
C401/C402/C403/C404 : unpopulated
I/V resistors : Rhopoint 8G16D : 1K Ohms (Farnell)
C407/408 : polystyren but in tin foil version (Farnell)

All the other parts being exactly in the offical BOM (getting the 4 Allen Bradley for where it has to go is more than a need : you must keep it)

I don’t use output caps after the transconductance oaps as I trimed them at 0V drift.

You will see the old TDA1541 chip (in a good layout) has not to be shy against the 24, 32 bits , etc dacs :) and is still one of the best competitors !

Clearness, exact tonal balance, 3D soundstage, very good dynamic headroom despite 16 bits !

(I know two guys here who benchmarked the AYA2 2014 with the Dam Soekris DAC moded... without no shyness for the AYA 2 if I understood the mail I received...)

Best regards

Eldam

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.