Which DAC chip with I2S input?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

For several years I found the AD1865 for my best option for a DAC. I use it with spdif in, I out with Lundahl transformers a tube output. BUT, I found that I use headphone more and more and I need a fairly portable dac with usb input. I would feed from tablet or phone (which plays flac from server).

I'm afraid I should not use AD1865 for this. I would need interface board between the USB to I2S board and the DAC also. Too much boards. I want this simple.

What I plan is an Amanero combo USB to I2S board, than a DAC board with a TPA6120 on it also. With ladder stepper volume control in between. Fed by two 6V SLA battery, just two small 1.2Ah. I'm not sure of the TPA, but that is the best I know for the size.

Anyway, the point why I write now: what DAC ship?

What do you suggest and why?
I listen to nearly all kind of music, I like the balance with very detailed sound but still not "hardened".

I tried to read back, but I did not found a forum discussing it. There is a best DAC forum, but that is not really about the chips.

If you know and existing design for headphone in this level, please let me know also.

Thanks,
JG

TDA1387 - excellent for portable because of its single supply and low power requirements (30mW or so). I'm using discrete I/V, I'd not use TPA6120 rather a discrete buffer. What impedance 'phones are you using? With 1.2Ah available you can probably afford to go classA and still get 8hrs of listening.

TDA1387 - excellent for portable because of its single supply and low power requirements (30mW or so). I'm using discrete I/V, I'd not use TPA6120 rather a discrete buffer. What impedance 'phones are you using? With 1.2Ah available you can probably afford to go classA and still get 8hrs of listening.

Hello, not one headphone. 180ohm is my favorite (an old sennheiser hd565 ovation), but have another with 300 ohm and (a less important) 32ohm.

Thanks! The TDA1387 was not on my radar, only the BurrBrown and Sabre chips.
Looking now.

JG

do you guys have other suggestion? I'm more interested in the sound character of different DACs. I know it is largely depending on surrounding circuits etc. but still, DAC ic has a major effect too. I favor the sound of the AD1865 with using the current output and transformers as low pass filter. This does not fit this project, but I still try to find the optimum.

How about Wolfson chips? Or ES9023? I would be interested in your opinion on its sound and please describe surrounding circuits also what you used.
How the TDA1387 perform?

Thanks,
JG

Hello,

I just made a second test over the weekend. With ES9023. Reference dac is AD1865 with transformers and tube output, from Ian's converter board and from Amanero, RPI + pocoreplayer before that.
So, I tried the ES9023 and did some blind tests also, but I recognized the ES after a few seconds. It failed. I have no problem like lack of base, too much base or high, being harsh or muddy. Nothing like that, but I just do not like to listen to it. I was scrolling between different things but I just did not like to listen to it. It has high and base, not too much not weak, but it is kind of flat and dead to me. This is from both CD sampled or 96/24 (where bits after the 18 is truncated).

Before you would say I am biased to the 1865, that is also a proto board only, I listen to CD and LP mostly, just finishing this dac with the 1865.
On the other hand, I think I will try another chip, than give up. I rather try to make my own I2S to PCM converter in a cpld to make a small dac, but will stick to the 1865.

Thanks for the suggestion on the TDA1387, but I want to be able to go to at least 96/24. I know the AD1865 is 18 bit too, not 24, but that is still 4 times more than the 16bit.

Regards,
JG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.