Quality DSP for 4-way: DEQX, miniDSP, Motu or else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ground sound dcn28, gets good reviews
http://www.groundsound.com/products.php
Here is an example of an ambitious project deploying the dcn28 as xover (sorry in Danish but there are pictures to be viewed)
http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35336&PN=1&TPN=50

Hypex has some boards but software is slow getting finalized and it is 3 channel but 2 modules can be chained.
There is a semi amped product available here based on the hypex dsp solution and amp modules at a very good price:
News

Last edited:
Motu is just an audio interface. Its an multichannel DAC for your application. Presumably a rather good one with ESS sabre.

Yes that is what i understand, not really comparable with the miniDSP and the DEQX...

I'm trying now to point out the problem i hear: is it the miniDSP's DAC that is mediocre or the DEQX's DAC that is really good ?

Or maybe it's something else entirely, like the 300db linear phase V.S. Linkwitz 48db ?

Maybe a little of both...

What i can try is to run both the DEQX (hi/mid) + miniDSP (midbass + subs) maybe i'll get more answers then

Quality of clocks, quality of analog stage implementation, quality of layout, regulators and power supply for the analog/digital sections all can have subtle impact, though i confess i am not one of those who can easily make out these differences unless one of them is very incompetently done.

miniDSP have a lower price range and its likely that some choices were made with price rather than absolute best SQ in mind.

IIWM, I'd use a Xilica XP4080 to solve the fidelity issues (24/96).

If money is more important than fidelity at that price point, then I'd use an Ashly Protea 4.8SP (24/48).

I've found that entry-level digital crossovers aren't worth the trouble - put a little money into a better unit that you can reuse over and over again for future projects.

Chris

Yes that is what i understand, not really comparable with the miniDSP and the DEQX...

I'm trying now to point out the problem i hear: is it the miniDSP's DAC that is mediocre or the DEQX's DAC that is really good ?

Or maybe it's something else entirely, like the 300db linear phase V.S. Linkwitz 48db ?

Maybe a little of both...

What i can try is to run both the DEQX (hi/mid) + miniDSP (midbass + subs) maybe i'll get more answers then

So systems and/or settings were not identcal? Listened to in different locations?

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with either. Making a good sounding multiway speaker is much more than that.

I know exactly what's in the DEQX as I asked, and they're nothing special. It's also my experience that the DAC sound thing is massively inflated.

My friend Terry has a 5 way system with 2 DEQX and a couple of years ago at the annual GTG at his place, he'd set up two of the presets with his standard setting (very steep slopes etc, all the DEQX features) vs what you could do with a DCX, 48dB slopes, modest parametric EQ etc. We then took turns in the hot seat and switched between. It wasn't blind, but we all heard a difference, and everyone described it differently and felt it was very small. Preferences were about 50/50.

So systems and/or settings were not identcal? Listened to in different locations?

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with either. Making a good sounding multiway speaker is much more than that.

same system, same location, same xover points, same music... But of course i can't make 300db/oct with the miniDSP. On the other hand, i could try 48db/oct linkwitz with the DEQX and compare side to side..

I have not used DEXQ, but MiniDSP. If you are keeping both try putting the MiniDSP on the low of DEXQ and do the low devider filtering with the minidsp. Correct MiniDSP phase change with FIR on DEXQ and correct amplitude correction of both upper and lower low on DEXQ, then see if it is a difference other then cleaner upper bass:) How to do the phase correction I leave to the reader....

I have not used DEXQ, but MiniDSP. If you are keeping both try putting the MiniDSP on the low of DEXQ and do the low devider filtering with the minidsp. Correct MiniDSP phase change with FIR on DEXQ and correct amplitude correction of both upper and lower low on DEXQ, then see if it is a difference other then cleaner upper bass:) How to do the phase correction I leave to the reader....

what i did few days ago is running the DEQX for the tweeters and mids, then the woofer analog out to the miniDSP that feeds the midbass and subs. Not ideal but at least i have a master control that works OK, a real 4-way, the 300db/oct lowpass on midbass...

It's not bad, but i'm not overly impressed.

But one thing for sure: i was very happy to have the DEQX back on the mid/hi !!:eek:

damn, the sound of the miniDSP is dull compared to the DEQX... I'm so surprised it makes such a big difference.

Hi JonBocani,

damn, the sound of the miniDSP is dull compared to the DEQX... I'm so surprised it makes such a big difference.
What are the input impedance of the amp for the mid/high section ?
Maybe the minisdsp is not able to drive correctly the mid/high amps.

My Najda DSP board was not able to drive correctly 50ASX2 modules with an input impedance around 6 kOhms.
Sound was OK after adding an input buffer and was dull before. As I've read, output impedance of minidsp is 560 Ohms.

Hm, not dull in my place...
Did you do only the LP/HP filtering for midbass, subs on minidsp?
I thought the DEXQ would "see" one speaker on its low as long as the midbass and sub is put together. And offcourse the phase of the midbass and sub has to be checked.
All kinds of room interaction can happen so it might not be the miniDSP, but maybe some phase change interaction between the different wofers and the room that lead to soundpreasure change. Multipple bass elements in a rooom is a highly complex matter that is not straightforward to put together with an optimal result.
I think the REW room sim gives a very good impression of how subs can cancel each other out at some frequencies decided by the room.

torgeirs, everything points out to a DAC/analog outputs differences between the DEQX and the miniDSP 4x10HD.

I tried something different yesterday: i'm feeding the miniDSP with my digital source, then i daisy chain to the dig in DEQX and i control separately the tweeters/mid (DEQX) and midbass/subwoofers (miniDSP).

Not easy to manage, but it's fun nonetheless. And the miniDSP DAC's limits are less obvious below 600hz, like i'm using it now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.