DCX2496 - WaveIo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
with respect to various modifications around the DCX2496, I would be interested to also "mod" the digital input.
I would ask if you think, in principle, this system can work:

1) Removing the digital input chip (Cirrus CS8420).
2) output I2S (WaveIo pcb) => SRC input (AD1896)
3) output SRC (AD1896) => DSP input (ex CS8420 digital output)

Obviously this is just in general terms ... if the system was feasible, I hope to deepen the project with you.
I am open to any kind of suggestions regarding this matter ... it's not that long ago that I approached the digital audio world :)
Thanks a lot to everyone.

Thank you very much for the informations!
If I understood well the DSP chip can't receive direct I2S data, is right for you?
Another thing, the WaveIo can only output I2S data bringing depth and bandwidth of the source, this is right?!
Exemple: input: 48khz 24bit, same output.
If that is the case you need a SRC (of course with his right circuit and pcb) to provide the digital data to the DSP chip.
As soon as I can I will testing with a breadboard...

I2S input interface (works!)

For anyone who wants to interfacle the DCX2496 with an I2S source I can confirm from some tests, now on breadboard, that can be done.
I want to share with you what was done:

1) removal CS8420 (with caution, the tracks are very weak)
2) removal of R24 and R25 (PCB bottom)
3) soldered a wire between R24 and R25
4) instead of the CS8420, wires were soldered to the pins 9, 16, 17
5) Created src external circuit prototype.

I try to give a brief explanation:

The digital source is the great lucian waweIO card, and I wanted to interface the I2S output available with the DCX2496.
I brought the necessary signals (sdata, Signal-clock, LR-clock) from the waweIO to the breadboard, the signals go to the input of the SRC AD1896, the equivalent outputs of the chip (sdata, Signal-clock, LR-clock) reach the DCX input through the previously soldered cables.

From the breadboard, Ad1896 (outputs):
  • Sdata goes between R24 and r25.
  • Signal clock goes to pin 16
  • LR-clock goes to pin 17

I attach a first electrical diagram that reflects what is done on breadboard.
I apologize if I did not explain well, and even for English not so good.
However, I hope this will be useful to someone who wants to try.
If someone wants to share potential improvements on the circuit, I'll be happy to talk with you.
Once the circuit is defined I will be happy to share / discuss the realization of the pcb.

Attachments

• dcx2496_I2S_SRC.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20170516_003436.jpg
    IMG_20170516_003436.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 94
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.