Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Best DAC is no DAC
The Best DAC is no DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 11:35 AM   #1851
Presley is offline Presley
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
There are small switched mode regulators with switching frequencies in the MHz range, so it should be feasible. You still have the issue that you need to keep reference (= supply) very clean, though.
can you post a link of these regulators?

supply could be batteries?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 11:41 AM   #1852
ionutzxpo is online now ionutzxpo  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Romania,Calarasi
Send a message via Yahoo to ionutzxpo
hi, and the reference voltage can be kept very very clean by a capacitance multiplier!
__________________
Iacob Ionut
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 07:12 PM   #1853
Presley is offline Presley
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutzxpo View Post
hi, and the reference voltage can be kept very very clean by a capacitance multiplier!
would a supercap come in handy here?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 08:01 PM   #1854
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presley View Post
can you post a link of these regulators?

supply could be batteries?
I'm not sure if this helps, but see for example:

LTC3646/LTC3646-1 - 40V, 1A Synchronous Step-Down Converter - Linear Technology

LTC3861 - Dual, Multiphase Step-Down Voltage Mode DC/DC Controller with Accurate Current Sharing - Linear Technology

LTC3839 - Fast, Accurate, 2-Phase, Single-Output Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

LTC3838 - Dual, Fast, Accurate Step- Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

If I were to try it, I would use a very well regulated supply, with the feedback sense point of the regulator right at the power stage, using a board with power and ground planes and with large ceramic decoupling caps right next to the power stage. No idea how good or how bad the performance would become, though. I only know that keeping the supply clean despite of the large switching currents drawn from it is quite critical.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 01:13 PM   #1855
Presley is offline Presley
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
I'm not sure if this helps, but see for example:

LTC3646/LTC3646-1 - 40V, 1A Synchronous Step-Down Converter - Linear Technology

LTC3861 - Dual, Multiphase Step-Down Voltage Mode DC/DC Controller with Accurate Current Sharing - Linear Technology

LTC3839 - Fast, Accurate, 2-Phase, Single-Output Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

LTC3838 - Dual, Fast, Accurate Step- Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

If I were to try it, I would use a very well regulated supply, with the feedback sense point of the regulator right at the power stage, using a board with power and ground planes and with large ceramic decoupling caps right next to the power stage. No idea how good or how bad the performance would become, though. I only know that keeping the supply clean despite of the large switching currents drawn from it is quite critical.
thank you for the links and insights. if i read the data correctly it would easily make a few watts amp and it could be even powered by a 12v agm car battery
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 06:48 PM   #1856
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands
I just noticed this thread:

DSD Playback system, DSF Player + USB DDC + DSD Amplifier

It looks like they are doing what you are considering to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 08:16 PM   #1857
Presley is offline Presley
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
I just noticed this thread:

DSD Playback system, DSF Player + USB DDC + DSD Amplifier

It looks like they are doing what you are considering to do.
interesting! thanks for the hint. it looks like they want to use two mosfets for performance (high power)

i wonder if those LTC regulators posted above are capable of audio quality. it would be simpler to use those and good enough for sensitive drivers
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 10:50 AM   #1858
Peter Sheehy is offline Peter Sheehy  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: EATON WA 6232
Ive have really enjoyed this thread especially the positive approach of the main contributors - congratulations!!
I have just made it thru the 185 pages - WHAT A MARATHON
I left the thread after half a dozen or so pages to give it a go.
Just grabbed a basic DIYINHK XMOS usb board and connected it to an el cheapo Di transformer set I had made to couple phones and tablets to my HiFi system (following the advice from my son- low impedance drives to transformers really make them sing)
Any how I was blown away by the audio sound quality achieved by driving DSD directly into a transformer
No evidence of core saturating with 1.65V DC across 10kohm primary
For those interested it was a $10.00 transformer purchased from Altronics in Oz

Cya Peter
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2017, 04:48 PM   #1859
marconi118 is offline marconi118  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
what trafo do you used?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 05:44 PM   #1860
sergiu2009 is offline sergiu2009  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
sergiu2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sheehy View Post
Ive have really enjoyed this thread especially the positive approach of the main contributors - congratulations!!
I have just made it thru the 185 pages - WHAT A MARATHON
I left the thread after half a dozen or so pages to give it a go.
Just grabbed a basic DIYINHK XMOS usb board and connected it to an el cheapo Di transformer set I had made to couple phones and tablets to my HiFi system (following the advice from my son- low impedance drives to transformers really make them sing)
Any how I was blown away by the audio sound quality achieved by driving DSD directly into a transformer
No evidence of core saturating with 1.65V DC across 10kohm primary
For those interested it was a $10.00 transformer purchased from Altronics in Oz

Cya Peter
Hi Peter,
Glad to hear another positive feedback.
Wich one from Altronics bellow:

http://www.altronics.com.au/transformers/audio-transformers/&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=rnEUWurKLoSAafyVsbAH]Transformers | Audio - Altronics[/url]
I need to find the original trafo used here (wich is very hard to find) or a cheaper obtainable one.
Thanks in advance.

Ps: tank you all for you advices, i buyed instead of an intel nuc, an micro itx mobo full packed for multimedia + an amd 4890k+ 16gb ram at 2400mhz for this project. Still need to buy next year a pico itx adapter + power brick.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


The Best DAC is no DACHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CS8416+CS4398 DAC Kit Support USB + coaxial DAC Board bleachershane Digital Line Level 4 2nd February 2015 09:45 PM
The DAC "do you have experience with this dac", Best diy dac for the money? murphythecat8 Construction Tips 9 17th March 2014 07:30 AM
WTB V2.6 PCB for ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC –SUBBU DAC grufti Swap Meet 0 26th November 2012 05:51 PM
Ebay dac with: DAC TDA1541, AD1865, AD1955, PCM63, & CS4398! sharpi31 Digital Line Level 2 10th January 2011 07:03 AM
diyclub.biz DAC-38, DAC-60, DAC-68. Anybody heard? TonyDasilva Digital Line Level 21 13th April 2009 05:10 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki