Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Best DAC is no DAC
The Best DAC is no DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2017, 11:35 AM   #1851
Presley is offline Presley
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
There are small switched mode regulators with switching frequencies in the MHz range, so it should be feasible. You still have the issue that you need to keep reference (= supply) very clean, though.
can you post a link of these regulators?

supply could be batteries?
Old 6th November 2017, 11:41 AM   #1852
ionutzxpo is online now ionutzxpo  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ionutzxpo
hi, and the reference voltage can be kept very very clean by a capacitance multiplier!
Old 6th November 2017, 07:12 PM   #1853
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutzxpo View Post
hi, and the reference voltage can be kept very very clean by a capacitance multiplier!
would a supercap come in handy here?
Old 6th November 2017, 08:01 PM   #1854
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presley View Post
can you post a link of these regulators?

supply could be batteries?
I'm not sure if this helps, but see for example:

LTC3646/LTC3646-1 - 40V, 1A Synchronous Step-Down Converter - Linear Technology

LTC3861 - Dual, Multiphase Step-Down Voltage Mode DC/DC Controller with Accurate Current Sharing - Linear Technology

LTC3839 - Fast, Accurate, 2-Phase, Single-Output Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

LTC3838 - Dual, Fast, Accurate Step- Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

If I were to try it, I would use a very well regulated supply, with the feedback sense point of the regulator right at the power stage, using a board with power and ground planes and with large ceramic decoupling caps right next to the power stage. No idea how good or how bad the performance would become, though. I only know that keeping the supply clean despite of the large switching currents drawn from it is quite critical.
Old 7th November 2017, 01:13 PM   #1855
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if this helps, but see for example:

LTC3646/LTC3646-1 - 40V, 1A Synchronous Step-Down Converter - Linear Technology

LTC3861 - Dual, Multiphase Step-Down Voltage Mode DC/DC Controller with Accurate Current Sharing - Linear Technology

LTC3839 - Fast, Accurate, 2-Phase, Single-Output Step-Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

LTC3838 - Dual, Fast, Accurate Step- Down DC/DC Controller with Differential Output Sensing - Linear Technology

If I were to try it, I would use a very well regulated supply, with the feedback sense point of the regulator right at the power stage, using a board with power and ground planes and with large ceramic decoupling caps right next to the power stage. No idea how good or how bad the performance would become, though. I only know that keeping the supply clean despite of the large switching currents drawn from it is quite critical.
thank you for the links and insights. if i read the data correctly it would easily make a few watts amp and it could be even powered by a 12v agm car battery
Old 10th November 2017, 06:48 PM   #1856
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I just noticed this thread:

DSD Playback system, DSF Player + USB DDC + DSD Amplifier

It looks like they are doing what you are considering to do.
Old 11th November 2017, 08:16 PM   #1857
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just noticed this thread:

DSD Playback system, DSF Player + USB DDC + DSD Amplifier

It looks like they are doing what you are considering to do.
interesting! thanks for the hint. it looks like they want to use two mosfets for performance (high power)

i wonder if those LTC regulators posted above are capable of audio quality. it would be simpler to use those and good enough for sensitive drivers
Old 16th November 2017, 10:50 AM   #1858
Peter Sheehy is offline Peter Sheehy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ive have really enjoyed this thread especially the positive approach of the main contributors - congratulations!!
I have just made it thru the 185 pages - WHAT A MARATHON
I left the thread after half a dozen or so pages to give it a go.
Just grabbed a basic DIYINHK XMOS usb board and connected it to an el cheapo Di transformer set I had made to couple phones and tablets to my HiFi system (following the advice from my son- low impedance drives to transformers really make them sing)
Any how I was blown away by the audio sound quality achieved by driving DSD directly into a transformer
No evidence of core saturating with 1.65V DC across 10kohm primary
For those interested it was a $10.00 transformer purchased from Altronics in Oz

Cya Peter
Old 20th November 2017, 04:48 PM   #1859
marconi118 is offline marconi118  Germany
diyAudio Member

what trafo do you used?
Old 21st November 2017, 05:44 PM   #1860
sergiu2009 is offline sergiu2009  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sheehy View Post
Ive have really enjoyed this thread especially the positive approach of the main contributors - congratulations!!
I have just made it thru the 185 pages - WHAT A MARATHON
I left the thread after half a dozen or so pages to give it a go.
Just grabbed a basic DIYINHK XMOS usb board and connected it to an el cheapo Di transformer set I had made to couple phones and tablets to my HiFi system (following the advice from my son- low impedance drives to transformers really make them sing)
Any how I was blown away by the audio sound quality achieved by driving DSD directly into a transformer
No evidence of core saturating with 1.65V DC across 10kohm primary
For those interested it was a $10.00 transformer purchased from Altronics in Oz

Cya Peter
Hi Peter,
Glad to hear another positive feedback.
Wich one from Altronics bellow:

http://www.altronics.com.au/transformers/audio-transformers/&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=rnEUWurKLoSAafyVsbAH]Transformers | Audio - Altronics[/url]
I need to find the original trafo used here (wich is very hard to find) or a cheaper obtainable one.
Thanks in advance.

Ps: tank you all for you advices, i buyed instead of an intel nuc, an micro itx mobo full packed for multimedia + an amd 4890k+ 16gb ram at 2400mhz for this project. Still need to buy next year a pico itx adapter + power brick.

The Best DAC is no DACHide this!Advertise here!