The Best DAC is no DAC

I'm no expert in this field but I understand there is a sound argument for using higher rate DSD (256/512) with solutions such as the one this thread is discussing based on the noise of the carrier signal being moved further from the audio bandwidth?

Correct, and with that, the gentler the filtering, i.e. the less damaging is the filter used to things like Phase and accurate transient response. Total win.

3 I can't figure out to convert PCM to DSD on the fly (FooBar can do this in Windows). So I have a lot of hi res files from my needle drops and stuff I've bought from HDTracks, which I can't play through Linux as yet. Hopefully I can work this out.

Give HQ Player a try.

MPD is usually the one used on Linux. Haven't been able to experiment much with it so far though.

Yes, maybe a little more complex than I would like too, converting to differential and then back to SE grates a bit but I think it will extract the audio from the DSD data stream and eliminate the DC offset issue without using a 'conventional' DAC. We're learning about this stuff. Would be glad to hear of a simpler approach...

Ray
IF there is DC , yet to be determined, a cap will get rid of it. If thats too simple run the DC straight into the grid of a simple SE tube stage, and adjust the bias to allow for the DC on grid.

IF there is DC , yet to be determined, a cap will get rid of it. If thats too simple run the DC straight into the grid of a simple SE tube stage, and adjust the bias to allow for the DC on grid.

There will be DC present, around 1.6V.

There are a few people experimenting on this thread so hopefully we'll start to build a picture of what works well and what doesn't. I'll progress the build I outlined and try a simple Italian style filter too as my contribution.

Ray

There will be DC present, around 1.6V.

There are a few people experimenting on this thread so hopefully we'll start to build a picture of what works well and what doesn't. I'll progress the build I outlined and try a simple Italian style filter too as my contribution.

Ray

Ok use a low Rp tube like 7788, 6E6P etc. Adjust bias resistor , or whatever you want to use to compensate for 1.6V on grid. Use a step down tranny, in parafeed or on the plate. Drops gain , gives low output impedance- perfectimo!

If we make an assumption of minimum rate of DSD128, what filter would you use?

Good question, Ray. Maybe a look at Jussi's Open-hardware DAC has a good answer. I think Abraxalito also offered some good advice in my relevant thread about it.

In that thread, in addition to the 'autoconstruito' Italian pdf, if I remember correctly, I also linked to a Japanese web page (can't find it again now...) with a design having similar goals, as well as that of our fellow member Koon who did something fantastic as well in that vein.

Last edited:
Ok use a low Rp tube like 7788, 6E6P etc. Adjust bias resistor , or whatever you want to use to compensate for 1.6V on grid. Use a step down tranny, in parafeed or on the plate. Drops gain , gives low output impedance- perfectimo!

So, I listened, researched a bit more and will take an approach similar to that you outlined...

For a first cut 'prototype' though I'll probably use an 'Italian style' filter plugged into a JLSounds JG buffer board.

Ray

Interesting post on computeraudiophile on the ifi nano idsd
DSD playback is native. No processing whatsoever. DSD goes straight to the output switches, to the selectable (third order, I believe) analog filter, then to the gain stage. That is it. Voila. Native DSD. And it sounds great.
unquote

Update from my journey.

Last week i listen to my first DSD player. Windows 7 with foobar and the plugins you need to drive the amanero board. i used power supply from usb and first order filter with lundahl transformer. I did not like the sound, it had no dynamics and no detail. it was also very difficult to get a flat frequency respons with the transformer.

This week i build a isolator for the amanero board with iso7640fm ic. After the isolator i use a fourth order filter. Because of little humm problems in my first setup, i try in this setup , salas shunt 5v for amanero, Salas shunt 5v after isolator. Just waiting for some smd parts for the isolator board, but below a photo from the isolatorboard and filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
As mentioned before is the power supply very important. I have made a PCB with seperate low noise supply for USB/Amanero and Isolator/Filter. Analoge output is about 3.5Vrms at 2.25V dc level. You will need to ad a capacitor in the output to filter out the DC.

Attachments

• DSD2.jpg
    DSD2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:

Hi Supra, taking your steer, I'm working on two DSD 'decoder' projects.

The first will be a very simple filter based on the 'Italian job', then a cap and using a simple relay circuit to mute output between tracks etc. followed by a JG output buffer. I hope to have that running by this time next week. The aim is to get a flavour for this approach to DSD playback.

Assuming it proves worthwhile I'm also looking at an active filter and output buffer using tubes, utilising the DC offset for bias as you suggest. One observation though, the DC is only present on the output when there is a DSD signal; thoughts?

Ray

Last edited:
Hi Supra, taking your steer, I'm working on two DSD 'decoder' projects.

The first will be a very simple filter based on the 'Italian job', then a cap and using a simple relay circuit to mute output between tracks etc. followed by a JG output buffer. I hope to have that running by this time next week. The aim is to get a flavour for this approach to DSD playback.

Assuming it proves worthwhile I'm also looking at an active filter and output buffer using tubes, utilising the DC offset for bias as you suggest. One observation though, the DC is only present on the output when there is a DSD signal; thoughts?

Ray

Most of the time there will be dc, right? The small amount of time there is no dc want do any harm, as there is still bias provided by the resistor on cathode, or whatever bias method you use. If your uncomfortable with that just use a cap.

Most of the time there will be dc, right? The small amount of time there is no dc want do any harm, as there is still bias provided by the resistor on cathode, or whatever bias method you use. If your uncomfortable with that just use a cap.

Thanks Supra. Yes, there will still be a cathode resistor providing bias; just looking for reassurance that the absence of DC for periods of time wont introduce other problems. If I can manage without an extra cap I would prefer to do so.

Ray