|Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|18th April 2015, 02:41 PM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2015
RPi B+ and ES9018K2M DAC: can't get it to work!
I have been fiddling around with this for quite a few evenings and weekends without much avail and I hope that you can help me. I am trying to get an ES9018K2M DAC to work with a Raspberry Pi B+ that runs Volumio.
I have bought the ES9018K2M DAC board from DIYINHK, together with the required 12v and 3.3v power supplies.
Problem: I get extremely distorted sound when trying to play back most files. Noise first appeared to be completely random, but after careful listening I now believe there is some relation between the noise pattern and the rhythm of the song being 'played'. When playing back a 24bit 96 kHz file and cranking up the volume of my amp, I can hear the song faintly playing, overlaid with noise and cracks.
Here's what I have tried already to get it to work:
1. I have tried using various versions of Volumio (1.4, 1.41, 1.5 and 1.55) and various firmware versions for the RPi. I have also tried Runeaudio (that runs on Archlinux) with the same results. This leads me to believe that it is not a software problem, although I am not 100% certain.
2. I followed the steps described here on the volumio.org forum, i.e. connected the I2S pins to the DAC; modified /etc/modules; /etc/asound.conf and /etc/mpd.conf as described.
3. On paper, everything seems fine and all the settings are as should be. I shortened the I2S jumper wires to 2-3cms, but that did not have any effect.
4. To rule out a bad soldering connection, I checked all the soldering points on the DAC board and they look as they should.
5. The voltage outputs of the PSUs for the DAC are as specified.
6. I rechecked (and rechecked again) that I connected the correct pins of the RPi to the DAC.
7. I made a thread about this on the volumio.org forum more than a month ago but so far haven't received any replies.
At this point I really do not know what else I can try to get it working or other diagnostic tests I can run to determine the problem. Does anyone here perhaps have any pointers or tips?
Many thanks for your help and expertise!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|My DIY ES9018K2M DAC||cctv628||Digital Line Level||17||28th October 2015 02:30 PM|
|FS: ES9018K2M XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz USB DAC||nikosokey||Swap Meet||12||16th September 2015 02:32 PM|
|ES9018K2M dualmono dac boards||heartwinter||Swap Meet||3||16th June 2015 04:40 PM|
|ES9018K2M DUALMONO DAC PCBS FOR SALE||heartwinter||Vendor's Bazaar||1||8th October 2014 04:12 AM|
|Volumio and Rpi DAC||tjaekel||PC Based||1||5th February 2014 03:34 PM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|