Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

I've got problem with rev.3 board. I've tried to upgrade filters - everithings go ok but after restart I see such communicat:
L044
L044
and dac doesnt work through spdif input. after sending another filter - i see the same. Whats the problem?

It seems that I was (at least in part) wrong about the old filters. The ones that are made for the 0.99 firmware should work with the newest firmware, but with no DSD support.

For the 1.05 software a filters selection that have been published before , with the DSD filters.

(F4 linear ) Linear Phase filter Soekris.
(F5 mixed ) EQHQ_lpbr_b4 Linear Phase filter.
(F6 minimum ) "quasiNOS" C128dp Linear Phase filter.
(F7 soft ) NOS filter.

Attachments

• 1021filt_1.05NOS.skr.zip
    39.8 KB · Views: 133
attachment.php

Attachments

• Filter.png
    Filter.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 683

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
We are not seeing the really interesting transition area around 22k. The measurement need to be done with higher fs than what is being played to be trusted. At least 48 but preferable 88 kHz or higher. So DUT playback fs = 44,1k and measurement system at 96k would be good.

But there is a hint of a big phase shift at fs/2 in the green trace but also a phase error at 10k of say 20 deg. But the traces could be the result of compensation effects when the DUT interacts with the measurement system performance and current settings?

But if the measurements reflects reality, I'd say we see a filter with a less altered passband in the red trace i.e. a more ideal filter.

Can you hear it... I don't know.

//

This shows that they are not equal sound, for people who don't like opinion about subjective sensations. Best phase and distortion measured in the Paul's filter.

Although measures are taken to 44.1k, it follows Paul's filter much better transition in the area of the 22 Khz.

Listening, for me Paul´s filter is clearly better.
My impressions comparing each other. Paul´s better impulse response to percussion. Paul's filter better pleasant sound and sweet thang Soekris. Soekris´s filter I find boring compared to Paul´s filter.
This is what allows me to describe my English.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes I would say Pauls filters are technical superior to the default ones delivered. Passband ripple, steepness and stop band suppression including phase skew are really good. That are closer to the theoretical ideal brickwall filter stipulated by the sampling theorem and, I also find them sounding better than the stock ones.

Then there is these NOS without steep filters which is of course NOnSense. If these sound good there is either a sever flaw in the rest of the system or in the hearing of the owner.

//

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Can someone point me to a primer on how to change between built-in filters?
I don't understand what the different banks do.

I don't want to upload new filters yet, just listen to what's available in 1.06.

Does uploading custom filters over write the existing filters?

Are there any custom filter for version 1.06?

Thanks,

Vince