Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Seems like avr300 vent to bed :)

Here is the file along with the mkrom run.

No DC filter!

No warranties as have not had time to test the .skr myself.

//

Attachments

• DIYA_1021filt_noDC.skr.zip
    46.1 KB · Views: 93
  • mkrom run.png
    mkrom run.png
    116 KB · Views: 409
No DC filter!

No warranties as have not had time to test the .skr myself.

//

Listened briefly to F4 and F6. Did not like F4 much. Overdetailed but too polite for my taste. Weird tonality. F6 has more gain and even at -3db still clips on one side. Looks like at -5db it is fine.

Some quick and dirty measurements.

F4 F6 F7

Attachments

• F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 332
  • F6.jpg
    F6.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 318
  • F7.jpg
    F7.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 324
Listened briefly to F4 and F6. Did not like F4 much. Overdetailed but too polite for my taste. Weird tonality. F6 has more gain and even at -3db still clips on one side. Looks like at -5db it is fine.

Some quick and dirty measurements.

F4 F6 F7

Interesting. I guess I find F4 more pleasing because I have a overall warmer system and enjoy the extra detail. I've never found it fatiguing
I found F5,F6, F7 to all be a little hot on gain, wouldn't mind those reduced.

Could you compare F5 with graph?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The shortest "pulse" at 16/44,1 is what comes out of an ADC when fed with 22,049 khz sinus with a sharp 22,05 filter. No dv/dt faster than that of a sine at fs/2 need to be handled by the DAC - feeding it something else is not relevant.

This means that one should not create, in digital space, a sequence of 16 bit words that could not be produced by an ideal ADC (filtered according to the sampling theorem) fed by analogue input (of any sort really).

//

The shortest possible pulse for the sampling rate. I guess 22uS for these graphs. Unless it's twice that :)

As a comparison, here is Paul's filter i have been listening to for the last 6 months. And not because it's pretty.

Which of Pauls filter is that?

The last pack TNT posted was his filter at F4 then F5,F6,F7 were all Pauls filters

(F5 mixed ) EQHQ_lpbr_b4 Linear Phase filter, Paul.
(F6 minimum ) "quasiNOS" C128dp Linear Phase filter, Paul.
(F7 soft ) New NOS filter, Paul.

Sorry, forgot to mention this: it is the C128. Not sure if porting the filters had an effect on gain or anything else. The original C128 seems to avoid clipping on firmware 119, when volume is set to -2db

The picture below illustrates the outcome at 0db. One would assume that while porting the old filters one would take care of the gain to avoid clipping.

Attachments

• 2019-03-07 23.38.21.jpg
    2019-03-07 23.38.21.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 327
Last edited: