LM317/337 for TDA1541 and SAA7220?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on a couple Philips CD players with these chips and I'd like some input. I'm thinking of keeping it simple at first and use an LM317 for +15V/+5V and LM337 for -15V, using these schematics. I will also put sizable heat sinks on both regulators.

So far so good, right? Anything else I should now? I don't have much experience so I'm afraid I could do something wrong.

Next step would be to build something like a Flea but for now that's a bit too advanced for me. I do wonder though, how big should I expect the difference between the LM317/337 and a Flea to be?

The venerable LM317/337 combo has been used in CD players and a lot of chinese DAC's for decades now... but to my taste this is definitely yesterday's technology with the advent of all kinds of new regulator topologies.

Now it depends whether you want to build everything yourself (true DIY spirit ;)) or go shopping..

There is all kinds of shunt regulators here on Diyaudio (the name Salas rings a bell?), deviations of those in mini form by a member from Slovenia, the TPS7A4700 based regulators etc. etc. Some of the Salas shunts can be built relatively easy on veroboard (I did more than once), or you get the boards and kits through member Teabag.

Or you just get a few of those --> NewClassD UWB Regulator for your respective voltages. Not exactly cheap but miles ahead of the LM317's...

Hope this helps!

Stabby,
the Salas shunts are meant to be powered from a separate DC supply, so a transformer, rectifiers and some simple filtering. I have built several versions until I switched to using the boards from the Group Buys. Of course you will need a bit of room to house all the components...
Heat shouldn't be a problem (shunts regs always run a bit hotter than series regs) with the demands of the DAC chip.
I do have the schematics at home and can email them to you. The Salas V1.1 is very similar to this --> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...ic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-120.html

An alternative could be the very compact boards of member Mravlca based on the TPS7A4700. They are fully populated, not too expensive and just need a matching transformer (one for each voltage ;)) --> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/263618-tps7a4700-low-noise-ldo-regulator-pcb.html

Btw. only the linked Dexa regulators are direct replacements of the 78xx etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.