Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks, TNT. Was writing from memory - and it’s a long time since I used that method!

On another implementation topic - have you used Lifatec toslink cables into your DAMs?

No. After thinking about it I came to the conclusion that the toslink cables would not matter given the implementation in the DAM. Later I did a data integrity test sending 100MB of data. Every single bit came trough without an error. This was on 5 meter 15 dollar cable. But after more insight into how the PLL works I'm not so sure anymore. I think I hear an improvement with my IanCanada reclocker between the DAM and my SB Touch so there could be something in the time domain. Timing errors induced by the opto which I hoped was to be digested by the DAM but alas, maybe not.

//

Got the box finally finished. The last part for USB rear port gonna 3D print instead of oval hole.

So far DAC sounds really nice. Using it now with Salas DCG3 and B&O H6 headphones. Also should get Sennheiser HD6xx real soon to do further testing.

Wanted to thank again for helping out with the firmware upgrade. Cheers :)
Neat build. Congratulations.

Hoi!

I have two quick questions about my dam1021-based DAC that I built 4 years ago. I have been happily enjoying it, and only recently opened it again to install a headphone out to the buffered outputs so that I don't have to power up my whole rig for just quick listening.

Apologies for being a bit elementary, I'm not much of an electrical engineer; I am just learning and trying my best. While it already sounds great, it isn't on par with my vinyl rig in terms of soundstage and naturalness, realism.

The implementation: (See attachment for a picture)
Board version: dam1021-12 - revision 4
USB: Amanero USB, original firmware
PS: 12V Hammond transformer driving the DIYINHK LT3042 board [12V output]
Raw outputs to RCA for my preamp, buffered outputs to a headphone jack (driving HD600)
Case: beautiful wooden case that my dad built and gifted me, with a grill on top for heat dissipation

When I opened it up this weekend, I noticed that the ground connection isn't connected to anything. Usually it would be connected to the case, but this case is wooden, so shouldn't it be connected to the power supply board? I don't see anywhere that it would be connected on that board. My understanding was that regulators dump power supply noise to ground. Is this a safety hazard? I leave it on, and the grill never feels warm.

Any ideas on further upgrades that can be made? I haven't modded the vref with capacitors yet, as the rev4 board has some improvements in that area already. Is it worth adding further capacitance? Isolate the power supply for the Amanero? Better is always better :)

Attachments

• IMG_5609.jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpeg
    844 KB · Views: 559
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.