Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First firmware release will NOT support digital crossovers, although there will be 14 available biquads ... I don't have time to implement and test before shipping the first Batch ... I will implement it soon as my big speakers are already designed for electronic crossover use....
Hello Søren,

we share the big spreaker thing. Mine are planned 4-way, but the DEQX used so far is only 3-Way and the DACs could be improved... So the crossover filter funktion would come in extremely handy as I could use four Soekris DACs to replace the DEQX internal DACs using the available internal I²S connection.

Is there a new rough time estimation for when the DAC Firmware may include FIR(?) crossover support?

Not sure I missed something, but what are the potential cross-over options? E.g. how many FIR taps available (I don't really need Bi-Quads...)?

Thanks and Regards,
Winfried

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Søren,

we share the big spreaker thing. Mine are planned 4-way, but the DEQX used so far is only 3-Way and the DACs could be improved... So the crossover filter funktion would come in extremely handy as I could use four Soekris DACs to replace the DEQX internal DACs using the available internal I²S connection.

Is there a new rough time estimation for when the DAC Firmware may include FIR(?) crossover support?

Not sure I missed something, but what are the potential cross-over options? E.g. how many FIR taps available (I don't really need Bi-Quads...)?

Thanks and Regards,
Winfried

Digital crossovers is usually done using biquads, and that what I'm planing to do in the R-2R DAC....

There are some possibilities to use FIR, but I haven't found much info about how to do it, excect that you need FIR filters with many taps....

Søren, I think you mentionned around 1000 taps per channel at 48kHz? This is already quite usable.
This should provide good EQ, filtering an d phase manipulation capabilities down to the a few hundreds of Hz...
You can play with rePhase to see what can be obtained for a given number of taps and sampling frequency.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you have a Squeezebox Touch you should definitely install the free EDO plugin and use the USB port as a digital output. Then get the excellent Amanero board and feed the Soekris dac with the I2S signal. I guarantee you won't look back.
The Amanero Combo board doesn't need drivers with Linux machines such as Squeezebox, and it's cheap too given it's marvellous performance.
It's a no brainer unless you use the USB port for music data. In that case I suggest you use the ethernet or wifi interface in stead.

I have these component but no sound.

Touch on 7.8.0 FW. Digital Output (Digital Only) installed. A hub between the two.

Any pointers?

//

I have these component but no sound.

Touch on 7.8.0 FW. Digital Output (Digital Only) installed. A hub between the two.

Any pointers?

//

Go to Settings/Audio Settings on the SBT, then under Digital Output select USB-Audio. (NOT any of the other options such as Digital Only). The SBT will reboot with a special kernel and the USB selected as digital output. Should work. SBT will recognise the Amanero board as Combo384 - Amanero.

I only see Digital Only or Digital & Analouge. No "USB-Audio" option. I can not see anywhere "Amanero"..

//

Okay then,

1. Plug in the Amanero board to the USB port
2. Go to Digital Output
3. Select the output that is NOT currently selected
4. SBT will now reboot
5. Repeat step 2. A third option ‘USB-Audio’ should now show. Select this option.
6. SBT will now reboot and you should have a signal out on the USB port when playing music.
(Go to Digital Output to check if it says ‘Combo384 - Amanero [Info]’)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did steps 1-6. 2 reboots.

But.... no. Arghhh. I need this.

I see "Digital Output"menu in 2 places. Settings and in Advance Settings - does it matter which one I use?

The DAC ses the SBT because it blink during boot and "blops" at start...

//

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_6055.JPG
    IMG_6055.JPG
    859.4 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_6056.JPG
    IMG_6056.JPG
    837.5 KB · Views: 591
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.