Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Soekris' DAC implementations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2018, 09:47 PM   #1081
Dadbeh is offline Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

what is the best way to connect these two entities (Soekris 1021 and amanero combo384) togerther? i mean is there flat cables? would i just drect solder? should I use female pins? can i use that connector in the picture? what is the best way?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Dadbeh; 9th July 2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:34 PM   #1082
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadbeh View Post
what is the best way to connect these two entities (Soekris 1021 and amanero combo384) togerther? i mean is there flat cables? would i just drect solder? should I use female pins? can i use that connector in the picture? what is the best way?
You can direct solder. The downside is you lose flexibility/convenience if you want to make changes.

What most people are doing is soldering a "connector" (i.e. male pin header) on each board (both the Soekris board and the Amanero), then use jumper wires (both end female) to make the appropriate connections.

Whatever you do, best practices suggest keeping the I2S wiring (i.e. connection between Amanero and DAC) to 10cm or less. Shorter is better.
Old 10th July 2018, 07:13 PM   #1083
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would advise to use female pin headers. You can solder cables to this and then mount the female part on the Soekris board without soldering. This way, you have a tight connection but still a way to demount. I would use solid core twisted CAT5 wire pairs for I2s. One of the wire pairs should be ground for all connections. And indeed you need to keep them short.

Fedde
Old 10th July 2018, 09:39 PM   #1084
Dadbeh is offline Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedde View Post
I would advise to use female pin headers. You can solder cables to this and then mount the female part on the Soekris board without soldering. This way, you have a tight connection but still a way to demount. I would use solid core twisted CAT5 wire pairs for I2s. One of the wire pairs should be ground for all connections. And indeed you need to keep them short.

Fedde
do you mean this?
Click the image to open in full size.

couild you pleas explain the chain? i will solder this to both the soekris board and the amanero board and then use du pont male pins to on both ends of the cable?

wouldnt that be the same as soldering male headers to both board and then using this cable?

40pcs 10cm Female To Female Dupont Wire Jumper Cable for Arduino Breadboard 992170878780 | eBay
Old 11th July 2018, 01:00 AM   #1085
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Hi Greg,

You know Duncan's PSU Designer II, do you ?

You can see there the difference in ripple voltage/current spikes of a tPical CRC vs. LCLC supply....it is enourmous. I just converted my filament raw supply from CRC to LCLC and you hear the difference by a wide margin...reason being that the current spikes of a CRC which has 1A DC is like 5A from the diode pov...going down to 0.2A looking at ripple current...this is a lot of noise LESS in your psu, radiating into the whole circuit...this is not theory, I just tried it and this definetely is very audible...
Blitz,

No argument with what you say at all. I totally agree that choke input filtered supplies are the best choice for AC-fed supplies. AND I honestly don't wish to make room for them on this setup at this time... the 8 supplies already there take up a lot of room, adding chokes would add a lot more room.

Also, I'm experimenting with non-AC connected supplies (likely Ultracaps) and suspect I'll be moving to them for ultimate applications where they are suited.

Greg in Mississippi
Old 11th July 2018, 08:54 PM   #1086
diyAudio Member

Quote:
couild you pleas explain the chain? i will solder this to both the soekris board and the amanero board and then use du pont male pins to on both ends of the cable?

wouldnt that be the same as soldering male headers to both board and then using this cable?
Yes indeed, those are the female pinheaders I meant. i would suggest to cut these headers in (six) pieces of 2 pins. Then solder a twisted CAT5 solid core wire pair to the male part of the 2 pinheader. On the other end of the wire pair also a two pin header needs to be soldered (again to the male part). This way you have created a twisted ground+signal pair that can be mounted to (male) pinheaders on the PCB. For I2s you need three of these twisted cables.

The cables you showed could work, but they are not twisted and I would target for shorter than 10 cm.

I hope it is clear enough, otherwise I need to make an image. Alternatively you can use 4 times 3 pins instead of 6 times 2 pins.

Fedde
Old 11th July 2018, 08:59 PM   #1087
diyAudio Member

Hereby a photo...

Fedde
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pins.jpg (523.6 KB, 80 views)

Soekris' DAC implementationsHide this!Advertise here!