Linn Numerik - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2015, 12:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Linn Numerik

I have a problem with a Linn Numerik: Upon power on the green LED on the front comes on and there is a faint ticking noise in the power supply, but after a couple of seconds the beast is completely dead and the LED is dark. I found the schematic and R14 and 14 seems to have been quite warm, but they test ok. Otherwise its intestines are in pristine visual condition. Does anybody have a clue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hans J. Klarskov
Old 14th January 2015, 04:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody had a clue - so I had to do it myself with a little help from Linn Brilliant SMPS - naked! - pink fish media

Just in case somebody else should encounter the problem here's how I solved it. The culprit is the small electrolytics. In the first picture it is clear that the cap has deposited some of its contents onto the pcb. Having found this one I checked the ESR of the rest and discovered 3 suspects more. After replacing all 4 it worked again. The arrows show the components that I changed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Numerik_PSU_before.jpg (53.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Numerik_PSU_done.jpg (74.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 14th January 2015, 05:50 PM   #3
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Also replace the X/Y cap. When these RIFAs go, they go with a lot of smoke. They can be found a lot in measurement equipment and they fail a lot. Usually you can see cracks. Possibly you need to replace it with separate caps.

Always use X and Y rated caps (or X2).

Google on rifa smoke and hit "pictures"...

Last edited by guido; 14th January 2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 14th January 2015, 06:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dear guido.

Thansk for the answer. You are right. I have seen a lot of these giving in, so I'll replace them. But the first objective was to get it to work again.
Old 15th January 2015, 02:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Does anyone else find it unethical, devious and downright deceptive that Linn puts these awful switchmode supplies into cases that make them look exactly like nice, potted toroidal power transformers?
I would advise replacing ALL of the lytics in that supply with Nichicon &/or Nippon Chemicon. Rubycons have a long track record of failing in SMPS.
Old 16th January 2015, 06:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I don't know whether it is unethical to put a SMPS into a casing that looks like a toroidal power transformer, yet I guess that manufacturers can choose the design they want. In this case it is, however, problematic that the case does not allow much cooling of the components. Indeed, an SMPS does not create much heat - but nevertheless some and I suspect that is the reason why the small electrolytics often fail in this particular case.
Old 17th January 2015, 07:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Lack of ventilation is a good point, but those caps failed completely predictably, because they are a cheap, garbage brand that anyone with more than a little experience would darn well know wouldn't last long. Just plain stupidly chosen. Rubycons are a bad choice, as well, but not as bad as the others there.
And why put disguise the smps as a potted toroidal xfmr if not with express intent to deceive magazine reviewers and owners? I personally consider it outright fraud.
Old 17th January 2015, 08:22 PM   #8
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
And why put disguise the smps as a potted toroidal xfmr if not with express intent to deceive magazine reviewers and owners? I personally consider it outright fraud.
I would consider a review claiming a toroidal transformer is better than a smps an outright fraud too...
Old 18th January 2015, 12:02 PM   #9
ozcal is offline ozcal  Australia
diyAudio Member

Linn made no secret of their use of smps in their products. They continue to use them to date.
Old 18th January 2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcal View Post
Linn made no secret of their use of smps in their products. They continue to use them to date.
Just like an increasing number of manufacturers - for a good reason.

Hide this!Advertise here!