Keces DA-131 toroid (torid?) noise tamed! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 13th December 2014, 01:55 PM   #1
roclite is offline roclite  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Send a message via Skype™ to roclite
Default Keces DA-131 toroid (torid?) noise tamed!

I recently purchased a used Keces DA-131 DAC from my favourite on-line retailer. I am still getting familiar with the open and transparent sound of this great DAC in my system. However, I could never get used to the clearly audible toroid transformer mains buzz that I could hear during music gaps and quiet passages. Something the seller "forgot" to mention and no doubt the real reason he got rid of this absolute gem of a DAC.

The good news is I fixed it and it was really easy. I unscrewed the toroid bolt and metal clamp, noticed the buzz was greatly reduced with the toroid just sitting on its rubber washer on the base. I re-assembled using a piece of "closed cell" packing material as a base washer and a used solder wick spool as a top clamp, though any piece of plastic would do. I tightened the whole assembly just enough to prevent the toroid moving freely. The mains buzz has now completely disappeared. This method could be applied to troublesome toroids in other DAC's or pre-amps though the effect might lessen as the toroid size increases. IMHO it also has had some benefit to the DAC sound quality though as I am still "breaking in" the new DAC, this might just be "listener expectation". Try it and hear!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0380.JPG (662.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0376.JPG (686.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0379.JPG (665.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by roclite; 13th December 2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo

Hide this!Advertise here!