Downloading and then burining a CD? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Downloading and then burining a CD?

Wanting to buy some Joe Bonamassa albums.. I'd like it as CD but don't really want to pay/wait for shipping.
Possible (clever??) to buy the downloads as 320 bps(?) mp3 files then burn my own cd??
Or will this be of lesser quality than simply buying a premade CD??
Old 23rd November 2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Try it using a CD you have. Just rip it to MP3 @ 320kbs and burn to a CD-R( or RW) as a trial and see how you like it. Remember to burn the CDR as an "audio disc" assuming that is what you want and not as a data disc.
Old 23rd November 2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Possible (clever??) to buy the downloads as 320 bps(?) mp3 files then burn my own cd??
Or will this be of lesser quality than simply buying a premade CD??
Technically it will be of lesser quality, but I doubt you hear a difference.
Old 23rd November 2014, 11:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Done this before with FLAC to CD back in 2005-ish and it sounded better than the original files playing from the computer. It worked fine.
Old 23rd November 2014, 11:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
Done this before with FLAC to CD back in 2005-ish and it sounded better than the original files playing from the computer. It worked fine.
FLAC is a different story. If you take the FLAC rip of a CD and write it back to a CD, you end up with a copy the original CD. If the FLAC file sounds worse than the CD, then there is something wrong with your computer setup.

A mp3 file can't be unpacked to retrieve the original data - a lot of it has been thrown out. Not that it really matters from an audibility point of view...
Old 23rd November 2014, 12:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
I use Cool Edit to batch convert MP3 (320k) files to wav files.
I then use Foobar to burn the wav files to CD.

I use Cool Edit to do the conversion to wav because it utilises the Fraunhofer MP3 codec, which I maintain sounds better than the Lame MP3 codec, plus setting up the batch conversion is dead simple.

The resulting CD's sound perfectly fine, on some programme content actually better than the original wav.

Dan.
Old 23rd November 2014, 12:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
I just download the track from wherever has it for sale, then using Nero burn it as is. Usually MP3. It is also easy to convert the music files to any media type with Freemaker Audio Converter. Video compresses to MP4 well with Freemaker Video Converter. You will be surprised how many MP3's will fit on a DVD, even more on BlueRay!
Old 23rd November 2014, 01:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
I use Cool Edit to do the conversion to wav because it utilises the Fraunhofer MP3 codec, which I maintain sounds better than the Lame MP3 codec, plus setting up the batch conversion is dead simple.
Pretty much all recent controlled ABX tests show that there is very little difference in modern versions of Lame and Fraunhofer, but Fraunhofer encoder is faster.

Quote:
The resulting CD's sound perfectly fine, on some programme content actually better than the original wav.
Indeed, many people prefer mp3 (if they can tell a difference), probably because the codec throws away "irrelevant" data, and gives more focus to the more important (to the ear) components in the music.
Old 23rd November 2014, 01:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Pretty much all recent controlled ABX tests show that there is very little difference in modern versions of Lame and Fraunhofer, but Fraunhofer encoder is faster.
I did some testing until way late at night/morning (clean power/no background sonic noise) and came to the conclusion that PB of Fraunhoffer 320k MP3 encoded tracks on multiple MP3 player devices sounded better than the same tracks encoded using the Lame 320k MP3 codec.
To be fair, the differences between the two codecs is subtle, but I consistently found the Lame codec to add a 'nervousness' vibe to the music, while the Fraunhoffer sounded nicely more musical.

Quote:
Indeed, many people prefer mp3 (if they can tell a difference), probably because the codec throws away "irrelevant" data, and gives more focus to the more important (to the ear) components in the music.
Yes, my intro to this was I had a Kylie CD floating around on my repairs bench as a test CD.

In came a MiniDisc machine (ATRAC audio data compression) with a pre-recorded minidisc version of the same Kylie album.
I was able to cue both sources and switch between them in real time.

I came to the conclusion that I preferred the minidisc version because it threw away/reduced dross in the recordings.

This dross also stimulates production of more dross (exponential rise) in typical less than perfect PB systems...a win/win situation in a sense.

Dan.

Last edited by Max Headroom; 23rd November 2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 23rd November 2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank you gentlemen.
Still not sure as to what all the above means .. in real life.
All those codecs / converters are as Greek at this point of my learning curve.
Clearly I will have to experiment.
Am (was?) concerned that after 40 years of building towards a playback chain that is genuinely 'good'.
I would be inadvertently negating a lot of it's resolving power ?
Whether that extraneous recording detail, erm.. dropped, is dross or not, only experimentation will tell.

The Elephant in the room question being: is it about the Music OR the sounds.
I prefer both when possible.

Last edited by Bare; 23rd November 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!