• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

THX for reply, but this was not realy what I was looking for.

Asume a set up with 5 identical active speakers at max 4-way, plus 4 subs in the corners, than three AP-units are required: 1) mains 2) surrounds 3) center+subs(LFE).

---Question was what to do if computer is the source (not HT processor), with what technic to feed the signal towards the 3x PA-units (for PCM+DSD)?
---And furthermore what about master volume control and DACsync/clock for these 3 (or more) AP-units?

I'm not sure why you'd want to have stereo piped through five speakers ?

In any event it should be possible to link multiple units together in a master slave arrangement.

cheers

I'm not sure why you'd want to have stereo piped through five speakers ?

In any event it should be possible to link multiple units together in a master slave arrangement.

cheers

THX

...because as said i.e. "5.1" is not stereo ;)

With a PCIe card I can send AES/EBU signals in pairs to each AP-unit.
This however is not goed for DSD, hence my question how to do that?

Good to know master/slave linking is possible.
With what type of connection?

If you use ES9018 or better, than digital volume control is an option.
But how to do than over multiple DACs in multiple AP-units?

Bob Stuart's MQA process is interesting to de-blur time smearing, improving temporal resolution. It improves efficiency too. I wonder if they will license the technology for use in a project such as this?

I hope it is nothing like HDCP and HDMI licensing. Even better if they are willing to offer a library written for SHARC cores.

cheers

Tranquility Bass,
I understand your having issues with the availability of the ESS chips, have you had any more thoughts to using the AKM chipsets to make this happen? I was looking on your website and your design would sure make things easier for my self powered speaker development but I'm afraid with two ESS chips the price is going to be very high just because ESS has priced their chips so high. Send me a PM if you'd like, I am really interested in something like this where I don't have to duplicate your development. Of course I don't need multi-channel output but the concept is what I'm looking for.

Steven

Tranquility Bass,
I understand your having issues with the availability of the ESS chips, have you had any more thoughts to using the AKM chipsets to make this happen? I was looking on your website and your design would sure make things easier for my self powered speaker development but I'm afraid with two ESS chips the price is going to be very high just because ESS has priced their chips so high. Send me a PM if you'd like, I am really interested in something like this where I don't have to duplicate your development. Of course I don't need multi-channel output but the concept is what I'm looking for.

Steven

I'm keeping the ES9018 Sabre DAC in the design. Firstly unlike the Sabre ADC which was a flop the Sabre DAC is a well established part and has been around for quite some time and used in a lot of hi-end products. Secondly I have invested too much time into designing it in. Thirdly it has some outstanding features built into the silicon which are just not available on other DAC's and well worth the premium price. Lastly I have been evaluating it on a prototype that I have recently completed, and for the last two weeks using speakers and headphones and it is a truly superb sounding DAC. ;)

cheers

P1030767.jpg

P1030764.jpg

P1030765.jpg

Last edited: