• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

The Control for the Kii 3 seems like a nice product. I'm not sure why 8 typed Kii 3 when I knew it had the optional controller. I am also debating the Barefoot MM27's which does not this option.

I do have an spdif output. It could be used as an additional channel or preamp output with possible volume control but that would not be entirely lossless.

Hello,

Could following HT-BY PASS functionality be available:

- 2 channel analog RCA or XLR input from HT system R + L
- HT By Pass mode can be selected remotely or from front panel
- HT BY Pass mode has fixed (preset able ?) master volume level

Idea is to connect Ultimate-Preamplifier inputs to current HT system L+R out or be able to feed the "UP" also with a high quality digital aes ebu 2 channel signal from "JRIVER box" or from another digital source.

I did not find HT by pass functionality here
Analog-Precision

Main UP system will be the 2ch system as 4 way with 3 way DIY + 2 x SUBs

Last edited:
Hello,

Could following HT-BY PASS functionality be available:

- 2 channel analog RCA or XLR input from HT system R + L
- HT By Pass mode can be selected remotely or from front panel
- HT BY Pass mode has fixed (preset able ?) master volume level

Idea is to connect Ultimate-Preamplifier inputs to current HT system L+R out or be able to feed the "UP" also with a high quality digital aes ebu 2 channel signal from "JRIVER box" or from another digital source.

I did not find HT by pass functionality here
Analog-Precision

Main UP system will be the 2ch system as 4 way with 3 way DIY + 2 x SUBs

Yes can easily implement HT Bypass on any analog input. Usually there is a dedicated set of analog inputs for connection to the main speaker line level output of the HT receiver etc. This means that anything connected to those inputs will have no level control and gain will be set at 0dB so obviously you do not want to connect up a tuner or tape deck etc with a fixed level output or you will damage your speakers very quickly.

Now for the case of the Ultimate Preamp there was not enough room on the back panel for dedicated HT bypass inputs so there needs to be some means of providing some caution and safety features in enabling this feature on the other analog inputs. Some ideas I have for this are:-

1. Do not allow the HT Bypass feature to be sticky so that when the unit is powered down it does not remember and power up with HT bypass mode enabled.

2. Only allow HT Bypass on one of the analog inputs at the one time and this is selected via a menu.

3. To enable HT bypass hold down the center button on the Analog input menu item for at least 5 seconds to enable HT Bypass for that input and only after a confirmation screen pops up can you enable it.

4. Or allow HT Bypass to be enabled if the 12 V trigger-in is asserted by the HT receiver.

Regards
David

Hi guys

We may look at doing a run of boards in the future but in order to get a reasonable price this requires fairly large qty's and considerable outlay on our behalf and we did not want to take on anymore risk at this stage until we could get some working units out there and prove the design which is what we are doing at the moment. They are relatively expensive to build because of the low volumes involved and manual labor to build them so the fully assembled units are not for everyone.

We have perfected our custom chipset which integrates a lot of functionality which traditionally would otherwise be implemented on the DSP and a host processor with many compromises. We are toying with the idea of offering our custom chipsets to prospective vertical manufactures who can afford to manufacture this in much higher qty's than we can and then offer it at a much better price than we can http://www.analog-precision.com/OEM.html

Any other ideas are welcome. Perhaps crowd source funding etc ? Would be looking at at least 100 DSP boards to make it worth while.

As for the current status of the firmware. We have integrated the latest version of Audioweaver (6.7.15 Standard Edition) which has the new GUI and lots of new enhancements. It is now working seamlessly with our own OS ;) Extra features such as full color 8ch VU meter operating in real time on the LCD display.

Regards
David

Attachments

• UPCP_VUMeter.gif
    UPCP_VUMeter.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 462
Joined 2007
Paid Member
.... Would be looking at at least 100 DSP boards to make it worth while....

Hi David;

Just so I understand what might be offered if there were sufficient interest; this is an assembled board which would then be mounted into a suitable enclosure by the user?

That being the case given the degree of H/W customization that could be offered (based on the first post) I guess that we as a community would have to get that sorted first so that the starting point would be a fixed configuration of the board or some limited variety of configurations offered.

Is this the way it could go forward?

Thanks
Matt

Do you have any ballpark production/BOM or crowd funding price for:
1 of main board
100 main boards
Behringer production volumes:)
Understand if this is internal figures as of now.
And I understand that the GUI that makes this product so extra special will not come for free
Guess we are not talking STM32 volumes, but vendors thinking of using the STM32 audioweaver could really have a jumpstart to showcase their STM32 idea for investors using this sollution
The thinking is that signalprosessing will be transferable to STM32 for large volume low cost products and prototyping or high end can use this product. Just my 2cent

O think this is a goer as both a group buy and as a crowdfunding project. You've done the hard part as far as crowdfunding sites are concerned and that is the actual prototype and RandD. All you need is pricing, some waffle, which you've largely written and maybe a video.

I really hope this progresses to the next point but you'll need to publish some prices for a crowdfunding/GB to see.

I once contacted you about becoming a GB partner /OEM, I'll drop you a line again over the next few days to see if there is any practical way I can help.

1 of main board
100 main boards
And I understand that the GUI that makes this product so extra special will not come for free
Guess we are not talking STM32 volumes, but vendors thinking of using the STM32 audioweaver could really have a jumpstart to showcase their STM32 idea for investors using this sollution
The thinking is that signalprosessing will be transferable to STM32 for large volume low cost products and prototyping or high end can use this product. Just my 2cent

Yes what you do on the ST board should be portable between different Audioweaver environments with little modifications as Audioweaver is hardware agnostic. However I believe the Cortex M4 and M7 ST boards are only 2 channel and run at 48KHz but the UPXO board can be setup to default to 48KHz operation with the appropriate dip switch settings so all of the Audioweaver design parameters for the ST board should be able to be loaded into the UPXO environment and vice versa with virtually no changes ;)

cheers
david

Last edited:
1 of main board
100 main boards

Yes we are allowed to sell individual licenses of the Audioweaver GUI with each built up system otherwise the way it normally works is that an OEM who purchases a qty of boards from a DSP board vendor that supports Audioweaver typically gets a copy of the GUI such that they can customize a single design that runs on all of the boards which they then incorporate into their own product. The end customer of course does not get the GUI because the last thing any OEM wants is the customer fiddling around with the design and blowing up amps or drivers etc. However in this case where the end customer is the diyer it's a little bit different because everyone has their own individual requirements and presumably know what they are doing.

cheers

O think this is a goer as both a group buy and as a crowdfunding project. You've done the hard part as far as crowdfunding sites are concerned and that is the actual prototype and RandD. All you need is pricing, some waffle, which you've largely written and maybe a video.

I really hope this progresses to the next point but you'll need to publish some prices for a crowdfunding/GB to see.

I once contacted you about becoming a GB partner /OEM, I'll drop you a line again over the next few days to see if there is any practical way I can help.

Yes by all means please contact me and let me know what you are thinking as this is getting closer to the end game :)

cheers
david

Thank you for your comments on the Audioweaver integration.
I think the STM32M7 100$ boards support 1 digital out and 1 analog out. But the I2S/Multichannel digital outs supports a lot more outputs.
But multichannel and samplerateconverting is timeconsuming to set up only for demonstration/funding. So setting up the signalprosesing (the actual IP) on your board is much more conviniate.
Then the road is open for both cortex DSP and tradisional DSP prosessing.
The complexity/volume/price point/amount of funding will decide. But time to market could be superfast and at the same time scalable.

I've been testing the attached beauty for 24 hours - I have to say it is equal to the finest DACs I have ever used, and I've used most of the pro mastering level DACs (this is without a proper blind test, so take it with a grain of salt).

This might be the first unit in the wild, I am extremely happy with the sound quality, functionality (doing the xover in the digital domain) & value. Thanks David - it's awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_5886.jpg
    IMG_5886.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 532