Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

freeDSP - an open source 2-in 4-out digital crossover board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2017, 02:11 PM   #311
zdr is offline zdr  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Nice
Any renderings of the board?
Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-06-19_150924.png (100.6 KB, 543 views)
Old 19th June 2017, 03:00 PM   #312
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr View Post
Here you go
Mmmm, diy-p0rn haha
Old 17th July 2017, 04:35 PM   #313
princenk007 is offline princenk007  India
diyAudio Member

This thread is getting interesting by the page.
Excellent work by zdr. very pro looking. This is like freedsp going to the next level.
It has been almost a month now since the last update. Any progress lately zdr?
Old 17th July 2017, 06:05 PM   #314
diyAudio Member

That's pretty much it for now, I have got everything I need in there. I am waiting for new prototypes to arrive while I am on vacation till September. Latest boards will have additional two dacs at the output instead of two adc circuits which don't make sense with AW on board anyway.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
Old 30th July 2017, 09:38 PM   #315
Piersma is offline Piersma  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default AMBIOPHONICS PLUGIN

hi all,

Does anybody know if there is a AMBIOPHONICS plug-in for Sigma Studio available?
Old 20th September 2017, 10:13 PM   #316
Viper_user is offline Viper_user  Europe
diyAudio Member

Is there any way to setup a 4way crossover with those boards?
  • s-pdif digital in (2ch)
  • (8ch) rca analog out

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks for advice!
Old 20th September 2017, 11:47 PM   #317
Andrew Eckhardt is offline Andrew Eckhardt  United States
diyAudio Member

I posted the same question last December. Since then I've done it. At a minimum you need to supply a master clock as the ADAU1701 sheet warns against attempting to distribute it from the internal oscillator. Tie the audio bus from receiver to both boards. There was some cutting and pasting on the FreeDSP and receiver boards involved for me, but I went to a 24.576MHz clock and 96kHz sample rate. When I went to 96k there was also something odd about master/slave configuration in hardware and software, but I don't recall exactly what that was. My documentation skills stink, and I was only out to get the setup running once for myself. In short, it can be done, but it would be really nice if someone would do a different board specifically for this. Also, if you're looking for killer sound you'll probably want a better DAC. The internal ones are OK, but not great. The CMOS filter opamp on the board is not great either. Similar technology is probably used in the 1701 internal voltage output , but I think the sound is better with passive filtering. I did a 3-way with a pair of the 1701 DAC outputs paralleled on the hi pass, and a fancier 2 pole filter there. I'll eventually use a "real" DAC and active filters, still based around the 1701, unless a better/cheaper DSP chip comes along first..
Old 21st September 2017, 09:59 PM   #318
Viper_user is offline Viper_user  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
I posted the same question last December. Since then I've done it. At a minimum you need to supply a master clock as the ADAU1701 sheet warns against attempting to distribute it from the internal oscillator. Tie the audio bus from receiver to both boards. There was some cutting and pasting on the FreeDSP and receiver boards involved for me, but I went to a 24.576MHz clock and 96kHz sample rate. When I went to 96k there was also something odd about master/slave configuration in hardware and software, but I don't recall exactly what that was. My documentation skills stink, and I was only out to get the setup running once for myself. In short, it can be done, but it would be really nice if someone would do a different board specifically for this. Also, if you're looking for killer sound you'll probably want a better DAC. The internal ones are OK, but not great. The CMOS filter opamp on the board is not great either. Similar technology is probably used in the 1701 internal voltage output , but I think the sound is better with passive filtering. I did a 3-way with a pair of the 1701 DAC outputs paralleled on the hi pass, and a fancier 2 pole filter there. I'll eventually use a "real" DAC and active filters, still based around the 1701, unless a better/cheaper DSP chip comes along first..
Ok to bad there is no board yet. Maybe this will do?
miniDSP Kits : nanoDIGI 2x8 K
If you add 4 Dac's.. on what board? China?

Do you recommend 1701 DAC?
1PCS PCM1701P DAC IC
The chip has no board and p supply kit.

Cheers!
Old 9th October 2017, 12:15 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_user View Post
Ok to bad there is no board yet. Maybe this will do?
miniDSP Kits : nanoDIGI 2x8 K
If you add 4 Dac's.. on what board? China?

Do you recommend 1701 DAC?
1PCS PCM1701P DAC IC
The chip has no board and p supply kit.

Cheers!
I believe my board should be able to do up to 12 channels, but I'll have to doublecheck. 6 DACs are onboard, and the rest is available through expansion I2S pins.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:02 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

My board is done, works great! I need to finish my sub now so that I can do some proper listening to a full blown stereo 3-way crossover. I also have rotary encoder volume control working on GPIO expansion ports. Programming works through USBi and Arduino Nano.

Next step is to do volume control, IR remote and LCD volume display with Arduino on already board.

freeDSP - an open source 2-in 4-out digital crossover boardHide this!Advertise here!