freeDSP - an open source 2-in 4-out digital crossover board - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2014, 07:51 PM   #21
Cresnet is offline Cresnet  Jordan
diyAudio Member

I really don't understand your point, who cares about witch OS to use to reach the target?

Most important thing is to make something yourself, DIY. also who said that minidsp is cheap?
Old 21st December 2014, 06:54 AM   #22
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresnet View Post
I really don't understand your point, who cares about witch OS to use to reach the target?
The OS is part of the system - and we want to be able to control and modify that part too.

Quote:
Most important thing is to make something yourself, DIY. also who said that minidsp is cheap?
Exactly - so the DIY aspect should cover the OS too. It has nothing to do with price or money.
Old 21st December 2014, 10:04 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
The OS is part of the system - and we want to be able to control and modify that part too.

Exactly - so the DIY aspect should cover the OS too. It has nothing to do with price or money.
How would you get Sigma Studio to run under Linux and if not who would write it to run under Linux ?

cheers
Old 21st December 2014, 10:21 AM   #24
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
How would you get Sigma Studio to run under Linux and if not who would write it to run under Linux?
As cogitech wrote, it might be possible to do it using Wine - still not an ideal solution.
Old 21st December 2014, 02:52 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
How would you get Sigma Studio to run under Linux and if not who would write it to run under Linux ?

cheers
As discussed earlier, AD already wrote a linux network utility, whereby linux runs a network service that SigmaStudio can connect to remotely. The linux box is connected to the AD DSP and actually controls the device, and SigmaStudio just sends data/conifig/commands to the linux server via TCP/IP.

What this means is that all that is missing for full support in linux is the GUI.

As discussed, it is quite possible that the Windows GUI could be run in WINE, and then connected to the linux network service running on the same box (localhost).

I suppose you have to be a bit of a network nerd to see how this might work, but if I test it and confirm it to work, I will post simple instructions.
Old 21st December 2014, 09:25 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I just discovered freeDSP, and I am wondering the following since I am pretty unclear on the specifics.
I was looking at the datasheet for the ADAU1701, but most of it is above my knowledge level.
http://www.analog.com/static/importe...s/ADAU1701.pdf

1. Is it correct that the the six connections of the freeDSP are 2x RCA unbalanced analog stereo inputs and 4x RCA unbalanced analog stereo outputs?
2. Is it possible to feed the freeDSP an I2S audio source to the DSP for the outputs?
3. Does anybody anticipate that the noise floor might be at? I found this thread in which a diyaudio user posted miniDSP noise floor measurements:
Minidsp 2x4 noise floor
Old 22nd December 2014, 04:11 AM   #27
freedsp is offline freedsp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hey diynube,

thanks for your interest in freeDSP.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes it's 2 in, 4 out. But you could wire it in sigmaStudio to be 1 balanced in, 2 balanced out.

2. Yes that's actually possible. You could e.g. put a spdif-to-i2s board on top of the freeDSP to get digital inputs.
One of our students just designed a i2s-DAC board for freeDSP, too :-) I'd you need more outputs.
3. I'm not quite sure about noise floor measurements, we will do them in the near future. MiniDSP uses the same DSP, so maybe it's not too bad as a noise floor reference.

enjoy your Christmas holidays! :-)
Old 30th December 2014, 09:50 AM   #28
webby is offline webby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=freedsp;4160174]Hey diynube,

I'm not quite sure about noise floor measurements, we will do them in the near future. MiniDSP uses the same DSP, so maybe it's not too bad as a noise floor reference.

As a perspective buyer of FreeDSP I would want to adress these issues vs MiniDSP.
I would buy two boards to be used as an active 4 way crossover.

The Noise floor
Maximum output voltage 0.9V
48kHz sampling rate, I think a minumum 96kHz for hi res audio.
Linux support

To adjust paramiters on the fly, without an aditional $80 for the USBI, are there alternatives?
I know that the sampling rate is done, what about the other points?
Would the ADAU1452 adress these issues, and future proof,then I would be prepared to pay more.

Many thanks
Ian
Old 31st December 2014, 02:47 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

So were is this at exactly? I would be interested in buying some boards. Looking at the links I don't see anyway to order the kit that they refer to. Someone fill me in please. Also Charlie send link to your opamp boards for the miniDSP.
Old 31st December 2014, 05:27 AM   #30
freedsp is offline freedsp  Germany
diyAudio Member

The first run of pre-orders just finished, that's the reason why you can't order any freeDSP-kits on our website anymore. Because this is a spare-time project for us, we cannot store pre-packed kits until someone calls us to buy them ;-)

For adjustments on the fly, I just heard about a cheap alternative for the USBi-programmer, somewhat like a USBi-clone.

You could buy the module on eBay: CY7C68013A 56 EZ USB FX2LP USB2 0 Develope Board Module Logic Analyzer EEPROM | eBay

And then refer to these topics:

ELEKTOR FORUMS • View topic - ADAU1701 Universal Audio DSP Board

https://ez.analog.com/thread/11612?start=30&tstart=0

USBee SX/ZX Hack - Project Server

USBee AX Pro reprogramming | Bits and Bytes

I just took a look into the ADAU1452, sounds pretty interesting. We will do some testing with it and try it out :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!