I2S to AD1865 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2014, 09:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I2S to AD1865

Hello,

I have planned to make a decent DAC for long time. Actually I made one, with SPDIF input, CS receiver, AD1865, Lundahl interstage, tube output. I like the sound of it, but I do not have a good player to SPDIF.

I also want to exclude the whole SPDIF thing.

Now I play with a Raspberry PI+Volumio to ES9023 DAC setup. After connecting a good PSU, it makes quite a good output, but not in the category like the AD1865+decent output.
I want to connect the AD1865 to the I2S output of the PI, but I run into a problem. I want to use setup like Pavel does (AD1865 based audio DAC with I2S input and voltage output), using his circuit of feeding the DAC chip, but the I2S data flow of the PI is only 16bit when the source file resolution is 16 bit.

I'm not bad in microcontroller C programing and PCB design, but I have no experience with PLDs or FPGAs and this task seems to call for i want to make a circuit which feeds the AD1865, both channel in the same time, from I2S, but I do not want to do it by any processor (would be too fast anyway). Do not want any clock signal of the circuit. It all would introduce jiter I think.

So, bottom line, do you know a solution? Do you have a suggestion?

Or, maybe, do you know other software for the PI what produce 32 bit I2S output always?
The Volumio does not seem to work well yet on the B+ PI anyway, I hope the guys will update that. Maybe it already has a proper I2S output driver for the previous PI, but not working on the B+ PI.

Thanks a lot,
JG
Old 8th October 2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Maybe, (don't know) :

- the pcb board maid by JLSounds could help you ?

- Audio DAC with AD1865 ?
Old 8th October 2014, 06:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The setup from Pavel work perfect with I2S out from RPI , this days i try some setup for test with RPI , and right now from ad1865 from Pavel , so keep going with this l schema , its O.K . !

BTW ... the RPI with VOLUMIO , its real pleasure ,,, maybe better from usb solution ..

Last edited by VASILIST; 8th October 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 8th October 2014, 06:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Vasilist,

Which circuit you refer to ?
This : Audio DAC with AD1865
or this : AD1865 based audio DAC with I2S input and voltage output ?

Which SW you use? Volumio?
And which I2S driver you use ?

I have only a B+ PI, which only the hifiberry driver works with. This driver provides 32 bit clock per half LRCK cycle when the file resolution is above 16 bit. But, when it is 16 bit, it provides 16 bit clock, which is a problem for the second circuit :-(

I hope, there is other driver which always provide 32 clock per half LRCK, because that case the second circuit must work perfect.
So, I'm very interested which driver you use. If not the hifiberry and you get 32clock per half cycle with another driver, I just get an older PI.

Thanks!!

Regards,
JG
Old 8th October 2014, 07:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello Eldam,
This would work with 18 or 24 bit.
I do not know an I2S interface which does that. SPDIF receiver can be configured to, but I do not plan to use SPDIF at all.
Regards,
JG
Old 8th October 2014, 08:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Giordano !
the second schema ,

Click the image to open in full size.

about the drivers ,,,
i follow this ,,,
http://www.tjaekel.com/T-DAC/files/R..._guideline.pdf

in oscilloscope the signal don't chance with some resolution , but I'm not sure , itry just for test , i have no time now to see how respond in different resolution ,

in time ...
Old 8th October 2014, 09:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Unable to see the pictures you have linked to.
Old 8th October 2014, 09:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello,

This kernel patch is for rasbian. Are you speaking about Volumio or rasbian?

I made a screenshot of a PI B+ with Volumio, through hifiberry driver plays 16 bit data.

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/141008/NewFil...toltes.hu_.jpg

Regards,

JG
Old 8th October 2014, 09:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

May be this Paradise Black Crow can solve the problem?
F.S.:Monica DAC Mojo and Black Crow
Ciao
Guglielmo
Old 9th October 2014, 04:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Giordano work for volumio too , for 2 days at least
now some going wrong with the ethernet ,, and again from start

Hide this!Advertise here!