Modify behringer DEQ2496? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Rapid is offline Rapid  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Question Modify behringer DEQ2496?

Hi everybody!
I've searched but couldn't find any mods for my behringer . Has anybody upgraded it with better components, like OP amps...? I'm using digital input (optical) and analog out.
All mods are welcome

Cheers,
Mattias
Old 14th January 2004, 09:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Come on guys Could somebody point me in the right direction? A link or idea would be great! I've heard people modify the older 8024.
Old 23rd January 2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Bat is offline Bat  Europe
diyAudio Member

Rapid,

What do you think of the DEQ2496? I've been looking at the Ultramatch Pro 2496, was wondering about the quality of the D/A conversion. Probably the same DAC as the DEQ2496. I'm thinking of getting one & then modding it heavily - it's cheap enough, if I screw up, I can throw it away & buy another. I was thinking of maybe using transformer outputs instead of op-amps...

...but the basic DAC has to be good enough to work with.

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer the question you asked - but maybe we can start a trend?

Bat
Old 23rd January 2004, 01:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello Bat!
Sure, I'll copy my reply from another message board (audioasylum) because the question was almost the same Hope you don't mind:

All signal is passed through the 2496 but I only choose to equalize the bass range because I haven't succeeded in eliminating the peaks in the midrange perfect. That's why I'd use acoustical damping instead.
It's a pretty big difference if I put some pillows on the floor infront of the speakers. It smoothens out the response above approx. 1Khz

This is how things are connected:
CD/transport -> Digital optical inputs on the behringer (it's either optical or AES/EBU (?) )
Analog phono (XLR availible) outputs -> (phono->RCA converter) -> active filter

I'm using analog out with the built-in DAC. To me it sounds good but since I've heard people complain about the Sss sounds (and some don't), I'm not sure if my demands are lower than "audiophiles". Some people claim they can hear difference in cables. I can't but I hear a small difference when my friend connects his $160 PS Audio DAC to his pioneer CD player.
If I could choose wether to buy it again or not, I'd buy it. Maybe you can borrow it from a shop and try.

There's digital output from the DEQ2496 so you can run your favorite DAC instead of the built-in.

Cheers,
Mattias
Old 25th January 2004, 04:46 PM   #5
Bat is offline Bat  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, Rapid.

I'm pretty much decided now to get the Ultramatch Pro. As far as I can see, there are no unblanaced outputs, so I'm planning to add a couple of Lundahl line transformers, maybe bypassing the output op-amps, depending what I find when I open it up.

Might get the DEQ2496 as well tho...
Old 6th July 2004, 05:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Inside the deq2496

Just to revive this thread.

I just got this gear, the boards inside are very compact, not much room to mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deq2496_all.jpg (49.4 KB, 7238 views)
Old 6th July 2004, 05:43 PM   #7
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: Inside the deq2496

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT
I just got this gear, the boards inside are very compact, not much room to mod.
Well, the Op-Amp's for the analogue stages are on the board with the connectors on the back. You can upgrade these and also of course you could use a lot of the present space to fit input and output transformers completely replacing the active analog stages....

The PSU should also be easily improved....

Sayonara
Old 6th July 2004, 05:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Holy, that was a fast reply.
Here's the dac part. The ak4393 output travel over the computer cable entering the opamp in the connector board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deq2496_dac.jpg (68.5 KB, 6635 views)
Old 6th July 2004, 05:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here is the output stage. Cheapo opamp at work here, will replace them with either AD8066 , AD8620 or LM6172 .
May be replace the whole output stage when I find the time and the right circuit, or may just a single transformer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deq2496_opamp.jpg (65.4 KB, 6637 views)
Old 6th July 2004, 05:52 PM   #10
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Rubycon ZA for local decoupling / Rubycon ZL for the 'bigger' PS caps would fit like a charm.

Hide this!Advertise here!